Calling white 1&2 W1 & W2

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
W1 and W2 are Aisi codes for tool steels made in many countries under many different names , white series are made by Hitachi ( Takefu has a white series equivalent as well) in Japan .
Unless a Western maker specifies it’s white steel it’s most likely W1/W2

W1 and W2 are Aisi codes for tool steels made in many countries under many different names , white series are made by Hitachi ( Takefu has a white series equivalent as well) in Japan .
Unless a Western maker specifies it’s white steel it’s most likely W1/W2
I know the differences like most of us do here
This is my point
It's only on KKF that I see white erroneously being called W1 and w2

Yea it can be annoying. It's also seemingly becoming common by knifemaker suppliers, I have seen obvious 13c26 being sold as aeb-l, and often american standards being used on other steels, like 1.2067 being sold as L3 and put as 52100. How hard is it to straight up announce what you're selling for what it is :confused:
So it can be very annoying even for the makers to start.

Yea it can be annoying. It's also seemingly becoming common by knifemaker suppliers, I have seen obvious 13c26 being sold as aeb-l, and often american standards being used on other steels, like 1.2067 being sold as L3 and put as 52100. How hard is it to straight up announce what you're selling for what it is :confused:
So it can be very annoying even for the makers to start.
It can be pretty confusing for less experienced knifemakers too. I remember looking at steels and getting a handle on the european standards, then seeing stuff like 1095 and 52100 being listed and thinking 'great, nice to have that available too', only to check the data sheets and find it's not actually quite the same after all.

It is annoying and I do wish more people used the wh1 or wh2 abbreviation for shirogami.

If Japanese made it its safe to assume shirogami is what’s being referred too. If the knife came from outside of Japan I assume they’re referring to w2 or w1, even though that’s not always the case.

Last edited:
Back