Main plate Cambodian yellow fish curry (Amok Trei)

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
IMG_20200701_193136_628.jpg

I can't say I've ever been to Cambodia but I do love the cuisine! This yellow fish curry is very simple, you just add everything in the same pot and heat through😆👍.

Amok Trei (Cambodian fish curry)
Enough for 3-4

500g skinless haddock fillets
2 stems lemongrass, white part only, chopped.
Tablespoon chopped fresh galangal
3 garlic cloves, chopped
2 small red onions, chopped
2 Kaffir lime leaves
1 chilli, de-seaded and chopped
1 teaspoon ground turmeric
1/2 teaspoon Prahok (fermented shrimp paste)
1 tablespoon fish sauce
1 tablespoon palm sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
200ml thick coconut milk
150g baby spinach leaves, sliced

Method:
Cut fish into bite sized pieces.
Put the lemongrass, galangal, garlic, onion, chilli, and 1 of the lime leaves into a food processor to make a paste. Add tablespoon of water to help it bind.
Place curry paste in a bowl and add the coconut milk and spinach. Add fish and stir through.
Traditionally this dish would be steamed in banana leaves 🌱 but you can also simmer it gently in a pan. Serve with jasmine rice and garnish with julienned chilli and remaining lime leaf.

Let me know what you think.
Follow me on Instagram if your so inclined!
@the_copper_pan_cook

No problem, I hope I did it justice!
I'm Khmer and spent a few months living there last year, the ingredients are spot on. I'd call this version more refined even, since they're too poor to not use the whole lemongrass over there and use any white fish from the river. Everyone makes it different, so if it's delicious to you it's correct.

I recommend using a mortar and pestle instead of a food processor though. The paste is called krueng and is a staple in most of our dishes, freezes really well in large batches. Basically why every new knife gets the lemongrass test.

I made this too. Due to the corona situation there were a couple of ingredients I couldn’t get, so I had to substitute the currypaste with a storebought green thai version. Nevertheless, it turned out really good.
382832AD-0108-4309-AA0A-1B9357D23E8A.jpeg

Last edited:
I'm Khmer and spent a few months living there last year, the ingredients are spot on. I'd call this version more refined even, since they're too poor to not use the whole lemongrass over there and use any white fish from the river. Everyone makes it different, so if it's delicious to you it's correct.

I recommend using a mortar and pestle instead of a food processor though. The paste is called krueng and is a staple in most of our dishes, freezes really well in large batches. Basically why every new knife gets the lemongrass test.

Thanks so much for the feedback, it really is great to hear from someone who has first hand experience of this style of cuisine. I'll try the pestle and mortar method next time. Freezing some krueng is also a really good idea! If you have any recipes to share I'll be happy to try them 😊.

I made this too. Due to the corona situation there were a couple of ingredients I couldn’t get, so I had to substitute the currypaste with a storebought green thai version. Nevertheless, it turned out really good.
View attachment 87191
I'm so happy you made this! Thanks for posting the results too 👍. It looks great..

Thanks so much for the feedback, it really is great to hear from someone who has first hand experience of this style of cuisine. I'll try the pestle and mortar method next time. Freezing some krueng is also a really good idea! If you have any recipes to share I'll be happy to try them 😊.
For sure. I'll probably post up something next week for you guys when I visit the folks.

Back