Camera case/backpack

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chinacats

Reaction score
So after spending the past year or so learning the basics of photography I've finally upgraded from the kit lens I'd been shooting with to what i think will be a balanced kit for my overall needs. Now im trying to figure out how to store that gear as well as how to haul it while hiking...ideally a 2 in 1 solution but not sure that's possible. I'd like to find something that would hold most of my gear snd leave room for some rain gear, water and snacks at a minimum. For the time being I've just been carrying a light daypack (Osprey) and wrapping lenses in towels/fleece and carrying the camera in hand...as the weather warms i find that i have another issue...how to carry the camera without dripping sweat all over it.

Thoughts? TIA

Domke inserts are great. I used one in an old messenger bag instead of a backpack.
That way one can access the gear, or sit down, without taking the bag off.
Much more discreet and practical than a camera bag.

+3 for Domke

This I think is the best solution given your original post.

It's a little ambiguous about the purposes of your hikes but everything has tradeoffs in terms of weight, complexity, setup time, acessibility, and all of that.

As a general rule, less gear is better. Easier access is better.

However, the more you need stability and hamds free the more complex your carry system may need to be. The more complex your system is the more tradeoffs you will be making.

The value you are getting vs the value you are losing from those tradeoffs...etc

That looks like a great solution. Can hold a camera and 4-5 lenses, right? Guessing you can just stuff it down in the pack on top of some clothes?

As to specifics, my dayhikes are mostly 7-8 miles max in the mountains. Really need more of a backpack than camera case because of this. Anything long or extreme and i can lighten the load but id like the option of carrying a variety of lenses...and a small tripod which can be lashed on the outside.

Last edited:
That looks like a great solution. Can hold a camera and 4-5 lenses, right? Guessing you can just stuff it down in the pack on top of some clothes?
Yup. Best part is since the dividers are velcro, you can keep moving the dividers depending on what's in there and how you want it packed. You can pack that thing tight like a Phoenician ship if you want--I crammed three bodies and six lenses in (but that was for travel not use). Will be fine for 4 lenses and a body with a lens mounted. Depending on how long the lenses are, you should have room to spare. Just mash it in there.

Peak Design is popular tehse days, but only really fits you if it fits you. I strongly suggest trying on out in person in a store ...
I have 2 that I used pretty regularly.
- Crumpler 5 Million Dollar Home - pretty great for a single lens + FF camera ... or all the lenses and m/3 .. + snack. No space for raincoat etc though.
- Incase CL58060 - pretty great for a FF camera + 70-200 ... and water, and raincoat and snacks, and 3 more lenses. However, it gets quite heavy on one shoulder ... so watch your back.
These days I'd recommend two-strap backpacks (not just shoulder bags) and only the ones that close tight in case it rolls over when you put it down, rain resistance is pretty much a must too. There are two major schools of thought about backpacks, if you want easy access (open from one or both sides) or you want security (open only from the back, only when not on your back).

Crumpler, Peak Design, Timbuk2, lowerpro all good-to-great options.

I've got a Kata camera bag that I like, it can be configured as a conventional backpack or as a sling (which is handy for quick access).

Really, though, the bag is the easy part. I'd second the suggestion that less is more, when it comes to gear. I don't typically carry more than two lenses and I often carry only one (and usually it's a prime). Before heading out, I'll usually decide what kind of compositions I'm looking for and I'll pack accordingly. Don't worry about not catching an image - worry about creating them.

Lens choice is tough .. and personal.
I used to carry the 17mm to 400mm trifecta ... and some primes. My back and shoulder and legs felt it.
Once I switched to F2.8 16-35mm + 70-200mm (and no primes) my back didn't feel any better but I could fit stuff into smaller bad, so traveling got easier.
Used to carry a full tripod, but found one of those minipods enough for most cases ... just find a taller rock, not perfect, but works.
Then I downsized to m4/3 and super zoom ... yeh low light sucks, yeh autofocus sucks, basically no bokeh, but damn, I didn't feel the camera on me at all .. I could hike further and higher up, walk longer, be less tired at the end of the day and so be happier when traveling ... (note modern mirrorless are lighter already so might not be as much of an issue).
I know people travel with single 24mm or 50mm or etc .. and are perfectly happy because that's the look they go for. It's tough to know till you try .. and when you do get only one lens kit, you will certainly hit times wishing you had more lenses .. but less so than times you wished you carried less if you carried all the lenses all the time.
I'd recommend starting with 24-105mm/equivalent .. F4 for lighter travel. See if 24 is wide enough, and 105 is long enough .. and go from there. F4 with modern cameras is often plenty as ISO perf is really nice. If you want bokeh, get a nifty fifty. (or blow 3 months rent on RF F2 zooms!)
Then if you find yourself using mostly wide end .. just try carrying a single 24mm .. if you're all over the range .. consider just 24mm and 100mm.
I found I could never give up the zoom range, so I gave up F stops and iso perf. Many people chose differently and want clean images or perfect bokeh.

Experiment, no one can really tell you what you want, like with knives.
Photography is often about the experience and overcoming challenges, so not having the perfect lens is just an encouragement to think differently.

edit: ps: if you get a tripod get a light one, otherwise you're not going to take it with you most of the time .. and get a good one, Manfrotto / Gitzo etc, cheap stuff will sag, ruin your photos, brake and/or be annoying to use .. so you won't use it anyway.

Guess I should've explained a bit about what I use. I did the opposite of Barashka and started w a superzoom but found it to be a bit limiting....I started w a d5200 most of my first year w dslr and shot only w kit lens (Nikon 18-55). I'm now using a D7100 (crop sensor). I found that 18 wasn't wide enough for some of the places i go...no room behind and wide scene so added a 12-24 (4.0 and my only dx lens). My main lens is 35-70 f2.8, my telephoto zoom is 70-300 4.5-5.6, and I have an old 105 macro f4. In addition, i have a pancake 50 f1.8 that I use in place of a body cover...or for being thin enough to stuff inside my jacket in a quick storm. I go out quite often w only one random lens and find it makes me work a bit more to get decent shots...that said, a lot of the places I hike I csn find all of these lenses quite useful (the ultra wide being the general exception but I usually know where I'm going to want to carry this lens). You'll notice that none of these are 'large' lenses though they definitely aren't light. I'm rather used to carrying quite a bit of weight from backpacking so an extra few pounds in a pack just adds to the workout.

I already have quite the selection of backpacks ao the insert seems like a great start and can adjust if need be later.

I'll save the tripod for another thread because that'll likely be next on my shopping list.

Thanks for the suggestions/replies. It's quite rare around this place to ask for a recommendation for most anything where the general consensus is that I can get away w/ a <$40 item:)

Last edited:
I’m a hobbyist but I also have a smallish Kata backpack that I love (3N1-10?) It’s a multi position pack and it has enough room for a FF body and a midrange 2.8 zoom and another lens. It kinda of ended my backpack search. Other styles are game. I’m usually carrying only a nifty 50 or 35 1.8 and possibly with my kit zoom f4. I have a nikon z6. I miss my 70-200 2.8 but that requires a different pack altogether. I have an old Lowe pro for when I’m packing heavy. It’s ugly but great. I don’t remember which one but any of the AW Backpacks seem pretty similar in different sizes. i think non pros should have at least two bags- small and bigger depending on the need. I’m one of them guys that brings my gear to the store to try out the bag.

tripod talk... oh god don’t get me started. Carbon, non, twist, clamp, weight, Segments, max load. It’s exhausting thinking about it.

I've seen the Peak Design pack reviewed well. It has a ton of great features, straps, pockets, allows you to carry some extras, and has a really clean look considering how many options is has. On sale at REI
I was about to post pics and realized it was already recommended.
Also, shout out to Tom Bihn - local backpack maker in the PNW, US made, very sturdy fabric, wears great, and starts lighter weight than many of the other 'rugged' options. The Synapse looks simple, but the design is very well thought-out. Vertical pockets for lenses, little bottom pouch for rain gear or muddy clothes that's separate from the main compartment. Has a laptop pocket, and lots of bag-in-a-bag options from the company for flexibility. I like the moldable back plate (extra) to keep my knobbly objects from poking me in the back. Plus, it's quite light., but has an optional padded hip belt for heavier carries. I bought one for school, thought it was overpriced, and now wouldn't go without it.

Last edited:
Domke. i think i have a camera bag that might be 35 years old. it was a tank.

they make a travel pack, last time looked. if you are gonna use it travelling, focus on stuff that is not easy to rip off. straps that have wire in them. positive locking latches, etc. ME? i used a travel fanny pack. it was the only way i could keep my stuff from being stolen. i had my hand on it the entire time. i survived Rome. :)

Back