Can’t decide on a 1000

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I haven’t used it yet, got it yesterday evening. I’ll report back after use for sure

Since you come from a much softer and muddier stone, do take some time to get to know the Shapton. The manufacturer recommends a soaking period before very first use, and recommend using the side without logo as to be able to use always the same side and keep it flat from there. I tend to simply rinse mine thoroughly before each use, as all my S&G, soak it for a couple of seconds the first time. If it bubbles I wait until it stops, if not (the SP1000 will not) it's all good for fun already.

Also keep it mind those Shaptons tend to come OOTB with the surface a bit glazed... you could use your coarse stone to give it a treat if you find that it is the case. Feels much better when broken in.

Have fun!

In the 1K grit have the Shapton Glass, the Suehiro Cerax, The JNS stone, the Nubatama and a 1.2K Bester. The JNS stone cuts fast and doesn't dish out too much. The Shapton Glass doesn't seem to dish hardly at all but it doesn't cut that quickly. The Cerax dishes the fastest and it just sits on the shelf until I get around to disposing of it. The Nubatama stone I got was one thats extra hard and it doesn't dish at all but it is hard and I use it for wood chisels on the flat back. The Bester was promised to a neighbor and will be gone soon, I just don't like soaking stones.

Omg I love it! I ran my mora that was in ok shape on it and it put a nice working edge on it

I think it will serve me well. I wish I had the 2000 and the 5000 lol I’m really liking these splash and gos

Back