Can anyone recommend me a stone basin?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blank Blades.

Blank Blank.
KKF Supporting Craftsman
Reaction score
I'm looking around on amazon for a tub to keep my stones in, and put a sink bridge on. The things I'm worried about are that it's the right size, and that it's strong enough to support me putting pressure from sharpening.

I'm looking at this: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00EL5LKH2/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_w6LLFb3V26GVQ

Or maybe this: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000JCKCQQ/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_L9LLFbC4VQDT7

I was hoping maybe I could get some recommendations on something tried and true, with a good one size fits all stone holder (that's affordable)as well to put on it

Either would work. I suppose what I mean was that the hotel pan seems favorable to me. The plastic of the hotel pan is more rigid than the plastic of the bus tub. Metal would not seem to be the best choice - but wait for other more informed members to chime in. I prefer splash&go and do not have space to perma-soak.

I prefer splash&go and do not have space to perma-soak.

Yeah the space thing can be a draw back to permasoaking. The change in performance I get from my king 1200 when permasoaked is worth it though. It reminds me of my chosera 800 in its current state. If I didn't mess around with my stones so often I could see it being a bit of a hassle though.

For some reason I thought you meant the metal pans when you said hotel pan.

I use a Cambro, works great!
Cambro 14CW135 Camwear Full Size Clear Polycarbonate Food Pan - 4" Deep

Fi8x827yrpWD_F6cXeNTG0siSBDUSrQIDygkvG2XxX0_NOusvbLqPC9MZgQSsrMlBPLEGs1aeP-hQ8U-dxs4afudiM0m4s0TxHBhY4ULRElSwekaNKF2TAmyQgaEPdEIPkQgt9jsdweIakX9haAGoXuUADCYiXPScjc1gRPJ9WHTcoMp_4ibGG6lNFoc5kscdBg2Ar-5KhyA5lLZCeOIvu-ZirVA9n7NW2bsB2l3qWmK20hTGc1gPDniME8A79CclWc-3Nv0imduTJ7WWDFmAsRxhTkTVjiBFLLiqqXyK_5OaQPsjGCbf5MM1wi-hKSzHrEiLtZ1BPrj-8oob3e8SaZJFf5HwT8GabdRbNyHfx0XY0IMoGF1pWsIcfL4A8AvtDNKB8nOtJCyb0BU9i74vqGJoO8Gq5YKUqFZ4oZayFd-kIx39Lornr8lCAeLuXiZyyJ_NfHk6dnZpiUAwClN0CVYY61bNOonmUQ5_n0aT7B_VUFQRNQuHZK5BH8Qel_a8_PLwz6cZtpydivAplvA2wdhJCBcZ4pM0dy3_kKsYIpy9sVlPZmu-InFZzZxrt9VZRfi9jErmwxCv8LcPTbJk5-owNgMkPl-B9kWNsT1XdOyUqU1dzV5Ld-Uqkdtv7NBHJ3N0meCraHdz0eYOrRlCVrOdQX079FftbWHhJnf8nSa1-5M2jzaK9MLSTKF=w1024-h683-no

Not saying it fits requirements of those who want to « suspend » the stone over a basin as to splash from the basin. But apart from 35$ for the stone holder and 2$ for the generic vinegar bottle, the pan was in my stove’s drawer, the brick I simply looked around until I saw one that fits just inside the usual measurements of stones, because I needed more heigth. Use stones on a damp cloth over the brick in the stone holder in the pan. You can see the latter is neither high nor big. Use mostly splash and go too. Pan is enough to do full thinning on a non-perma Sigma 240 which takes easily a full bottle and a half to keep lubricated in the process, then go through a full three stones progression sharpening, and there’s still space for more water. Fits well who sharpens standing up in a smaller space, using an external source of water (keeps my hands dry which as someone with eczema is a requirement if doing this about every night), easy to rinse and store away when in a hurry, or add couple of minutes to clean and dry each component more thoroughly. All dries well left wet anyway.

EA8EA64A-05B6-4ABC-915F-BE0BF1927255.jpeg
850B65B1-C586-4C33-B08A-F7A267FBE680.jpeg

If you have restaurant supply store they'll have what you need and you can see the options rather than visualizing them based off measurements. I use a steel half hotel pan, with a bridge made of two lengths of 2x4 screwed together, with the bottom section friction fit to the tub. Wet wash cloth to keep stones in place.

Simplest and cheapest: put a block of wood under your stone.
It does not slide, since the wood gets wet the moment you start, and is just as firm as a holder. If the piece is as big as your biggest stone, you are set.

Handle the piece of wood the same as your stones in terms of drying..

It just works...

Simplest and cheapest: put a block of wood under your stone.
It does not slide, since the wood gets wet the moment you start, and is just as firm as a holder. If the piece is as big as your biggest stone, you are set.

Handle the piece of wood the same as your stones in terms of drying..

It just works...
I have a little table I setup on weekends at an outdoor market, and sharpen knives for people. Part of why I want to get a setup like this is to have a good presentation. The more professional it looks the better. I probably should have put that in the post.

I mean, I'm not going to buy those 100 dollar sink bridges for it or anything, but a 10 dollar tub, and some wood that won't put me back too much is no big deal.

This is the setup I ended up getting for work. I'm pretty happy with it. Now I just need a better table.

Attachments

• 16041642609769034332039402015517.jpg
    16041642609769034332039402015517.jpg
    153 KB · Views: 20
Back