Can I get some updated opinions on these two manufacturers?

Discussion in 'The Kitchen Knife' started by Fantality, Apr 17, 2019 at 6:48 AM.

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums by donating:

1. Apr 17, 2019 at 6:48 AM #1

Fantality

Fantality

Fantality

I'm shopping through Amazon right now and for Sujuhiki, I'm seeing a lot of Yoshihiro and Dalstrong knives. What are your opinions on these two brands? If my information serves me right, Dalstrong is a Chinese brand or at least mass produced in Chinese factories. As for Yoshihiro, I can't remember because it's been so long... But the last bit of information I heard of them was not very positive.

2. Apr 17, 2019 at 8:48 AM #2
    Why Amazon? Shipping issues? There are a lot of better options out there.

3. Apr 17, 2019 at 11:35 AM #3

KenHash

KenHash

KenHash

I would choose Yoshihiro over Dalstrong, If those were my only choices.

4. Apr 17, 2019 at 11:48 AM #4

Tanalasta

Tanalasta

Tanalasta

I was recently after a Sujihiki.

Jon at JKI was a phenomenal help has has various Sujihiki in a number of variations from cheap(er) stainless to carbon steel. At the top end are some Ginsanko options even.

There are also Sujihiki available on BTS, K&S, JNS etc... I eventually ended up with a Kochi KU 270mm stainless clad carbon steel option from JKI for a very reasonable price. I also second "why amazon".

5. Apr 17, 2019 at 11:51 AM #5

ian

ian

ian

I’ve at least been told before that Yoshihiro doesn’t make their own knives, but rather is a brand that sources from various smiths in Japan. Hopefully someone who knows more can attest to the accuracy of this statement, or correct it...

Heresay aside, I had a Yoshihiro 240 gyyto once and it was pretty decent. My tastes have changed since, but I was pretty happy at the time with it.

But yes, it would be better to look somewhere other than amazon if that’s an option.

6. Apr 17, 2019 at 12:53 PM #6

hambone.johnson

hambone.johnson

hambone.johnson

aside from our own BST , there are a host of other very good vendors out there the community can direct you to aside from Amazon for knife purchases.

7. Apr 17, 2019 at 1:24 PM #7

KenHash

KenHash

KenHash

Most established cutlery shops in Japan do not make their own knives. They source them from smiths and have their brand put on them.