Can I get some updated opinions on these two manufacturers?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fantality

Reaction score
I'm shopping through Amazon right now and for Sujuhiki, I'm seeing a lot of Yoshihiro and Dalstrong knives. What are your opinions on these two brands? If my information serves me right, Dalstrong is a Chinese brand or at least mass produced in Chinese factories. As for Yoshihiro, I can't remember because it's been so long... But the last bit of information I heard of them was not very positive.

I was recently after a Sujihiki.

Jon at JKI was a phenomenal help has has various Sujihiki in a number of variations from cheap(er) stainless to carbon steel. At the top end are some Ginsanko options even.

There are also Sujihiki available on BTS, K&S, JNS etc... I eventually ended up with a Kochi KU 270mm stainless clad carbon steel option from JKI for a very reasonable price. I also second "why amazon".

I’ve at least been told before that Yoshihiro doesn’t make their own knives, but rather is a brand that sources from various smiths in Japan. Hopefully someone who knows more can attest to the accuracy of this statement, or correct it...

Heresay aside, I had a Yoshihiro 240 gyyto once and it was pretty decent. My tastes have changed since, but I was pretty happy at the time with it.

But yes, it would be better to look somewhere other than amazon if that’s an option.

aside from our own BST , there are a host of other very good vendors out there the community can direct you to aside from Amazon for knife purchases.

I’ve at least been told before that Yoshihiro doesn’t make their own knives, but rather is a brand that sources from various smiths in Japan. Hopefully someone who knows more can attest to the accuracy of this statement, or correct it...

Most established cutlery shops in Japan do not make their own knives. They source them from smiths and have their brand put on them.

Back