Can knife handles be re-used?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

agp

Reaction score
If I re-handle a knife, can I use the old handle again on another knife (assuming same size/fit)? Or does removing a handle destroy it?

If an old handle can be reused - any recommendations for the fastest knife rehandler?

Depends on style of handle and how it was attached. Tell us more about your knife and post some pictures.

If it was a J knife wa handle intalled in Japan, quite likely it would be re useable and fairly easy to remove.

See James of knives & stones do it here:

If I re-handle a knife, can I use the old handle again on another knife (assuming same size/fit)? Or does removing a handle destroy it?

Yes. This is a Kato handle. The knife is not a Kato. It’s not the prettiest install ever, since the hole in the handle is much bigger than the tang of the knife, but it works!

image.jpg

As to whether a removed handle can be used again, it depends how it was removed, which depends how it was originally attached. If it was originally attached with wax or something, you can whack the handle off no problem. If it’s stubborn (eg attached with epoxy) you can try heating up the handle and whacking it off. If it’s impossible to get off otherwise, you may have to chisel it off, in which case you would destroy the handle in the process. But if it comes off ok, you should be able to use it again.

Thanks for the response. I'm planning to take the handle off of a Konosuke hd2 210mm gyuto and putting it on a Masakage Mizu 165mm bunka.

Gently heat up the handle of the knife in hot water, and then whack it with a hammer (with a piece of wood as an intermediary -- you don't want to accidentally whack the blade).

The old handle will have a ton of debris on the inside. Get a small set of wood files from somewhere and remove all the trash inside the old handle.

Then you can start checking fit with the new knife for the handle. Use the wood files to make it go in smoothly to the desired depth,but not loose.

Then use your preferred install method. I like beeswax, but am no expert by any means.

Tape the blade with blue painters tape, several layers. Get a piece of wood that is longer than the blade is (by several inches) and around as thick as the handle is. Put this alongside the blade resting on the top of the ferrule, holding the wood against the blade and then hit the top of the wood piece with a hammer. This will usually work to remove the factory installed handle without splitting/chipping the ferrule.

If you are worried about balance just check the knives have similar weight, handle wood and size. Also keep in mind my Konosuke had been epoxied and not just glued.... in which case the handle is going to go.

in regards to installs I have found the hot glue stick shaving method to be really easy and lets you change your mind later, same as beeswax.

A bit off topic, but I kinda plan on using a small part of what's left of my Western knife handle wood if I can get that small part to a usable place.
I save the pins/rivets from old knives to add to the new handles just to add some history.

Yes. This is a Kato handle. The knife is not a Kato.
I'm confused...I thought Mazaki made all the Kato handles.
Is he also making the Kippington knives now too...???
This post Covid industry consolidation is complicated....

If you take the ferrule off from the rest of the handle and sand off the epoxy very carefully, you will see Mazaki’s name written where the two pieces join.

Back