Can Someoen Identify This Knife?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Picked this guy up at Bowery Kitchen at Chelesa Market as a used item for $10 bucks. The collection of knives there is pretty sweet, but even sweeter is a bin of used knives and other kitchen items where I found this nice deba.

Most likely not one of the high end debas. I had to touch up the blade. Then I found out that debas are sharpened differently than double bevel knives. :eyebrow: I guess these guys take a micro bevel. Hopefully I didn't mess it up too bad.

So I do have a question... Can anyone identify this knife? I'll sleep better at night knowing I didn't F up a $300 dollar knife.

deba_0.jpg

deba_1.jpg

deba_2.jpg

you don't have to worry about it being a $300 knife.

The kanji says "Japanese special steel," but I don't know what THAT means.

The kanji says "Japanese special steel," but I don't know what THAT means.

I think it translates as "SURGICAL STAINLESS". Sometimes also known as "Mystery Metal(tm)". :p

how did you like sharpening it? was it tough to get the burr to show? did you use stones, or some other method?

how did you like sharpening it? was it tough to get the burr to show? did you use stones, or some other method?

This is my first single bevel, but I didn't find sharpening to be that difficult. On the other hand, I didn't sharpen it correctly. After sharpening it, I did quite a bit of research (which I should have done before hand but the whole new toy thing got the better of me), and discovered that you grind down lower bevel half of the knife, then put a micro bevel on the edge at 45 degrees.

But yea, I got a burr after 30-40 passes on a medium stone and finished it with a 1000 gritt stone, then stropped with some newspaper.

This is my first single bevel, but I didn't find sharpening to be that difficult. On the other hand, I didn't sharpen it correctly. After sharpening it, I did quite a bit of research (which I should have done before hand but the whole new toy thing got the better of me), and discovered that you grind down lower bevel half of the knife, then put a micro bevel on the edge at 45 degrees.

But yea, I got a burr after 30-40 passes on a medium stone and finished it with a 1000 gritt stone, then stropped with some newspaper.

the sharpening involves a bit more than that to do it properly... if you have questions, please dont hesitate to ask

are you talking about going to a finer stone like 8000 or something? The knives that I use in the kitchen tend to take a beating, so I don't go all out on the sharpening. However, if I finish with my #1000 and leather strop, it'll slice through newspaper like nothing, and that's really all I need for most kitchen jobs. My edges get plenty of bite with 1000 and 2000 stones.

The way you sharpened this knife will get the job done, but for a single bevel knife, it's not technically the correct way. Jon has some videos on sharpening single bevel knives that are really helpful.

so here's a question for you...looking at your 3rd picture, is that a full view of the back side of the knife? Is it in any way concave? One way to tell would be to place the back side flat against a (lets just say) 1k or 2k stone, and make a few passes. If the blade is concave you will start to see the effects first along the outer edges - near the spine and cutting edges.

I think it translates as "SURGICAL STAINLESS". Sometimes also known as "Mystery Metal(tm)". :p

The kanji literally mean special steel. I don't know if that's a euphemism among knife makers for something in particular or not. But that is definitely what the kanji say.

so here's a question for you...looking at your 3rd picture, is that a full view of the back side of the knife? Is it in any way concave? One way to tell would be to place the back side flat against a (lets just say) 1k or 2k stone, and make a few passes. If the blade is concave you will start to see the effects first along the outer edges - near the spine and cutting edges.

The edge I put on it is convex. You're seeing the same side as the other two pictures (the front side). The backside is completely flat. Maybe this will help explain the blade geometry better:

deba_geometry.jpg

it looks like/sounds like you are sharpening just the edge here.

Here are a couple videos i did that might help you out:

[video=youtube;gvDjASvVHek]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gvDjASvVHek&list=PLEBF55079F53216AB&index=7&feature=plpp_video[/video]

[video=youtube;cCY5CKkBers]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cCY5CKkBers&list=PLEBF55079F53216AB&index=8&feature=plpp_video[/video]

Here are some of Jon's videos from JKI. Just scroll down until you find the one titled 'Sharpening Single Bevel Knives'.

Jon beat me to it.

Last edited:
Back