Canned chicken.

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

boomchakabowwow

Reaction score
My wife brought home some canned chicken. She bought it for emergencies, I think. It’s From Costco. I considered lighting my grill, but it was just too hot out. I lightly damaged myself yesterday with some heat exhaustion. Another evening of headaches seemed like a bad idea. Out came a can. I opened it up and my cat came running. Oh-o! Bad omen. I tasted a piece. It was seasoned well, and it wasn’t dry. Tender even. I cranked out a chicken salad to eat in lettuce wraps. Spared me from even turning on a stove!

in summary, the canned chicken was a pleasant surprise. I bet it would make a decent camping chicken enchilada.

my cat loved it.

This was the first (and only) time I've ever seen canned chicken. I'm sure it was overly dramatic, probably now better or worse than canned tuna or sardines. I will say though that I was never sought out canned chicken.

I buy these too for emergencies. Since the pandemic started I have three cans in my two week food supply. I have eaten them in the past when we lost power during a storm etc. They are food, they won't kill you.

I will never forget watching my mother open a canned chicken and extrude the tubular carcass within, sometime around 1972 while we were at "the summer place".

Yep, she made chicken salad. Yep, it was pretty much edible, non toxic food. Yep, the consistency could be quibbled with... But if I was cold and hungry, I could polish a canned chicken off and be happy to have had it available.

It is another example of the axiom: The difference between bad and worse is much more noticable than the difference between good and better.

I like canned sardines for this reason. Ones are in oil with lemon. Oil is great for many things too... but usually just get a fork and eat.
Canned sardines can be a real delicacy. Put them on buttered rye bread, with some onion, lemon juice, salt, and pepper, and few leaves of rocket on the side. Meal for a king!

Last edited:
OK, I admit I have done the same :) In fact, next time I make it, I'll post my recipe for the ultimate student-on-a-budget winter comfort food. I does involve something quite close to Spam: tinned corned beef. Not quite as terrible as Spam, but close: it has bits of tubes in it :)

I have had the canned chicken from Costco and agree with the OP. I picked it up as “just in case” and while trying to eat though the older food in the pantry I forced us to blow through it. I like the easy chicken enchiladas idea, I was know to drain a can and all chicken and bbq sauce to a skillet. Cook that until light caramelization, add cheese and make a easy sandwich. I have eaten a lot worse.

Canned sardines can be a real delicacy. Put them on buttered rye bread, with some onion, lemon juice, salt, and pepper, and few leaves or rocket on the side. Meal for a king!
i've had some really good canned sardines. a friend gave me a tin from Portugal, and it damn near ruined me. it was so good.

A5ynlZ7.gif

i've had some really good canned sardines. a friend gave me a tin from Portugal, and it damn near ruined me. it was so good.
There is an app called "heat" lots of info and current conditions and warnings. When the guy in dark clothes 92° F went down i knew what to do. Also check out air now.gov learn about PM2.5
I am sure that contributed to your headache. Take care of yourself

If frying spam were illegal, I'd be a habitual criminal.

My wife horrified me recently by making a fried bologna sandwich, the cheap Oscar Meyer kind. Apparently it taste good, but I haven't brought myself to try it yet.

Back