Cant decide on a new gyuto

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jgraeff

Reaction score
Ok so i have narrowed it down to a few. I have a Konosuke HD as my primary gyuto but id like to have another when I'm at work when doing lots of prep work or if i get lazy and don't want to sharpen one i have another to use. I don't use any slicers or anything else really i only use a gyuto on 90% of everything unless I'm cutting fish or breaking down chicken/duck.

Most of these are out of stock right now but should be in sometime by december. So i have a little while to decide on which 240mm gyuto i want to add.

Masamoto KS- love the profile and seems a bit sturdier than my Kono HD

Mizuno- Either stainless or Blue .02, always hear great things about this knife. Seems a bit heavier duty but still a great cuter overall.

Kochi- just started hearing things about this knife, but i like the look of it, have heard pretty good things about it (except i have heard a couple people say they have chipped the blades so that worries me a little bit)

If any can give any insight to which may be better for use in a kitchen would be great. I feel like i can't make a bad decision here and i think thats why its soo hard to choose.

I'm going to suggest a Suji or 210 petty to fit the slot. I'm using a Kono 270 HD as my primary and a 240 Suisin suji (soon to be a 210 Kono petty) as it's companion. I use the suji to julienne onions/peppers + trim meats etc. and the gyuto for just about everything else. IMHO they are an unbeatable combo for two knives (I also have a paring for appropriate food stuffs).

While the Konosuke is a thin knife, it really isn't all that delicate near the edge. It is a tough knife. The KS is tougher built near the edge and the profile is different. It's flatter and more pointed, in general. The Kochi is the opposite. It is finer and more delicate near the edge making it a nicer cutter than any of the others on the list but it is less pointed. I haven't seen the Miz.

I have a KS and have an HD on the way soon. The KS is a nice knife, not super-thin but has a great tip and is very flat. It also has excellent F&F. I think I'd go for the Mizuno personally. It seems to be very popular with everyone who owns one and I think I like blue steel better than white. The stainless looks nothing like their other knives it actually strongly resembles an HD or a Sakai Yusuke so I think I'd stay clear of it. I don't think you can go wrong with any of them though to be honest. Bound to be a few members who have some or all of these knives so they could help more perhaps

Get something to compliment your Konosuke. I have so many thin knives already, so I just ordered a 270 Yoshikane the other day as I wanted a mightier knife that was still thin behind the edge to differentiate itself from the anorexic birds that flock my kitchen.

Get something to compliment your Konosuke. I have so many thin knives already, so I just ordered a 270 Yoshikane the other day as I wanted a mightier knife that was still thin behind the edge to differentiate itself from the anorexic birds that flock my kitchen.

+1.... I have never owned a Yoshikane, but I have re-handled several, got to use them while I had them, and they are pretty bad-ass. Cannot for the life of me figure out why I haven't bought one yet. Awesome knives!!

I have a 210 gesshin ginga that i use on the line. I don't use it that much during prep though the blade is too flexible unless I'm cutting tomatoes, or onions/ peppers. I say that however i have used it to split lobster tails haha.

But I'm not a huge suji guy, i actually just sold my 240 misono, i tried to use it as my primary for a while but i just never felt as comfortable with it. Im planning on getting one eventually but as of now i think a gyuto would be more suitable.

I really can't decide on which would be a better fit. I think the Kochi is more opposite of the HD so it would make sense, although i do hear great things about both the KS and the mizunos.

I was hoping someone would have had all three that could give me more of an opinion on which has the best edge retention/ ease of sharpening, and flexibility( able to cut just about anything without hassle including tip work)

...which has the best edge retention/ ease of sharpening, and flexibility( able to cut just about anything without hassle including tip work)
between the Masamoto and the Kochi...
Edge retention: dunno but I would bet money that a nice blue steel knive will outperform either v2 or white 2 here
Ease of sharpening: both very easy but I would give the edge to the Kochi
Versatility: both are very versatile but I would give the edge to the Masamoto

Back