Can't get a wh#1 as sharp as a blue#2 and it's frustrating me.

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm going through a similar "just need to practice" phase where I have pretty good results but I'm not at the level some people describe.

Also I got some advice from a guy named Ken S. on another forum who said getting a burr was a sign you're not sharpening well. Struck me as an odd comment. Does anyone else consider no burr a sharpening goal?

I will take a stab....I have done a lot of sharpening over the years. Some good and a lot bad. It was only when I consistently raised a burr that I developed consistent results.

I'm going through a similar "just need to practice" phase where I have pretty good results but I'm not at the level some people describe.

Also I got some advice from a guy named Ken S. on another forum who said getting a burr was a sign you're not sharpening well. Struck me as an odd comment. Does anyone else consider no burr a sharpening goal?
There is a technique going around that advocates avoiding burr formation. There was a Reddit thread on it a while ago. I watched the video, and while the guy was undeniably getting his knife sharp, the technique itself was, in my opinion, complicated, harder to get precise and, also important, dangerous due to the way the guy held the stone in one hand, the speed of his movement etc.

I'd say stick with burr formation and removal for the time being. The reason people use this method is that it works and is consistent.

Having a burr has some benefits. Obviously it's arguable that it's not for everyone.
But, you take out fatigue metal fast, really fast while developing your edge and bevel. You know you have hit the entire cutting edge much easier, something that a lot of people struggle with. There are other ways, this is just faster and more reliable maybe.
Just because you are pushing the apex as well, it's not wrong.
I can do that in hand sharpening thing, but I prefer not to or just go for the burr.
Sharpening without a burr is definitely possible though. Even if sometimes, technically, there might be a burr at some point. And pushing edge leading strokes is in itself a go at a burrless sharpening. Just more refined.

I also try to avoid rising a noticible burr unless i am setting a new bevel with 1k or lower on a new made of fresh grinded blade ;)

Regards

Uwe

I also try to avoid rising a noticible burr unless i am setting a new bevel with 1k or lower on a new made of fresh grinded blade ;)

Regards

Uwe

Is this when you’re using your jig, or in general? I don’t bother making a burr for touchups, but I imagine the microbevel I’m touching up is so small that it gets reset immediately.

Alternating edge leading strokes was a pretty common practice at one time when Arkansas stones were the norm. Not sure that it ever forms a burr.

Back