Can't remove Mazaki handle

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Thpp9

Reaction score
Hello,

I recently bought a Mazaki from Cleancut and to be honest I am not in love with the ho wood handle. I saw some burn marks so I thought it was burned into the tang but it seems that isn't the case (at least not entirely?). I tried contacting the seller and he said he "thinks" its glued.

I tried pouring boiling water in a mason jar and let it sit there for about 20 mins (I swapped the water 3 times). Didn't work. I placed in the oven at 90° Celsius for 15-20 mins after the boiling water and that didn't work either. After each method I tried knocking of the handle with a piece of wood and hammer with no success.

In the end, I got frustrated and burned the handle. It pretty nice now, definitely not perfect but way better than before. I am thinking of grabbing a custom handle in the future, so I am still interested in finding a way to remove it without having to rely on chisels hopefully. I heard that I could use a heat gun but unfortunately I don't have one.

I would love to hear if you have any different idea on how to remove it.

My Mazaki (from Carbon Knife Co) had a little epoxy on the handle. It was stubborn, I wrapped the horn portion of the handle in a few layers of tape to protect it and gave it some authoritative whacks with a mallet and 1x4 and it popped off. Don't be afraid to give it an aggressive, yet controlled, walloping.

If hot water didn’t do it, you must have something harder than hot melt glue. If whacking it doesn’t work, then it’s time to cut it off. Ho wood handles are cheap.

My Mazaki (from Carbon Knife Co) had a little epoxy on the handle. It was stubborn, I wrapped the horn portion of the handle in a few layers of tape to protect it and gave it some authoritative whacks with a mallet and 1x4 and it popped off. Don't be afraid to give it an aggressive, yet controlled, walloping.
I will try next time being a bit more aggressive with it. A bit of epoxy could be the case here as well! Thanks for your input

If hot water didn’t do it, you must have something harder than hot melt glue. If whacking it doesn’t work, then it’s time to cut it off. Ho wood handles are cheap.
It's not about how expensive it is, it's more like that I don't want to destroy something that's functional. But yeah, if I can't knock it off, I will have to cut it off.

Any pics of the burnt handle? I hate the Ho wood handle on my Maz also. I plan to burn it, just haven't gotten around to it yet. Would love to see your results.
I will post some pictures tomorrow with some better lighting. After burning, I sanded it and now I am applying some mineral oil. I will wax it (beeswax and mineral oil) overnight and tomorrow I will take some pictures.

What I can say right now is that it looks better than before imo (I think I might have over done it a bit, I could leave a bit more of the original ho wood finish near the ferrule for some contrast) and that it feels pretty nice and smooth in the hand.

Thanks. Look forward to seeing pics. I like how light the handle is since it makes my (sujihiki) quite blade heavy, I just don't like the look of light wood handles. Figured burning would be a good way to change the color most naturally.

Thanks. Look forward to seeing pics. I like how light the handle is since it makes my (sujihiki) quite blade heavy, I just don't like the look of light wood handles. Figured burning would be a good way to change the color most naturally.
Here are pictures of the handle

Attachments

• IMG_20220119_110333.jpg
    IMG_20220119_110333.jpg
    59.3 KB · Views: 45
  • IMG_20220119_110347.jpg
    IMG_20220119_110347.jpg
    56.5 KB · Views: 45
  • IMG_20220119_105910.jpg
    IMG_20220119_105910.jpg
    43.6 KB · Views: 41
Mine is also from CC. I tried doing as @ethompson said; "give it an aggressive, yet controlled, walloping.". I got it out eventually.

And you don’t need any fancy equipment. I used this:
EE82A0E3-9BDB-4AE2-BA77-84C51DAEC10E.jpeg

Last edited:
Mine is also from CC. I tried doing as @ethompson said; "give it an aggressive, yet controlled, walloping.". I got it out eventually.

And you don’t need any fancy equipment. I used this:
View attachment 161515
My problem should be that I didn't use a big enough hammer. The piece of wood that was touching the handle was relatively big and the hammer not so much, so I couldn't apply the necessary force I guess. Next time I give it a try I will just grab another piece of wood like you. I think it's gonna make it easier.

Nice job on the handle. Looks great. Gives me some confidence
Yeah go for it. It's not difficult. I used a crappy gas stove that's ment to make Greek coffee and still turned out decent imo. If you have a blowtorch, you are.gonna have way more control than I did and a better outcome. I attach below what I used just for reference

Attachments

• IMG_20220117_222609.jpg
    IMG_20220117_222609.jpg
    41.4 KB · Views: 4
Any pics of the burnt handle? I hate the Ho wood handle on my Maz also. I plan to burn it, just haven't gotten around to it yet. Would love to see your results.
I've burnt a few. I figured why not try it before shelling out cash for a new handle. I was pleased, so never rehandled as I had originally planned.
<coincidentally, the little one is a Mazaki>
burnt-handles.jpg

I've burnt a few. I figured why not try it before shelling out cash for a new handle. I was pleased, so never rehandled as I had originally planned.
<coincidentally, the little one is a Mazaki>
View attachment 161539
It feels like a completely new handle. I had the exact kind of thought. I meant to replace the handle anyways, so why not try it out? I ended up with a completely different handle that feels and looks (imo at least) way better. Even if I end up getting a custom in the future, I don't think that I will throw that away

If you’re in the states you can pick up a heat gun at Harbor Freight for dirt cheap. Especially if it’s on sale. I’d just try a bigger hammer😠

If you’re in the states you can pick up a heat gun at Harbor Freight for dirt cheap. Especially if it’s on sale. I’d just try a bigger hammer😠
Europe citizen here. I will search a bit maybe I find something relatively cheap here as well. Till then, I think I have some bigger hammers laying around

Seriously smart job on the burnt wood! That can't have been your first time I assume...?

The first handle replacement I ever did on a posh knife was on a CC Maz, and is still just about the most difficult removal I've ever done. In the end it took about 15 mins of naked boiling and then hammering to get it off. I chucked the wood away but managed to save the horn and use for the new one, which came out rather well:

IMG_1333.jpeg

(And yeah... it's definitely some kind of industrial strength epoxy in there!)

Seriously smart job on the burnt wood! That can't have been your first time I assume...?

The first handle replacement I ever did on a posh knife was on a CC Maz, and is still just about the most difficult removal I've ever done. In the end it took about 15 mins of naked boiling and then hammering to get it off. I chucked the wood away but managed to save the horn and use for the new one, which came out rather well:

View attachment 161682

(And yeah... it's definitely some kind of industrial strength epoxy in there!)
Thank you for your kind words! That was my first time actually and I am really happy with how it turned out!

For the time being, I am enjoying the burned handle way more than expected tbh. I was thinking that it was gonna be a project that I would have mixed feelings about. It turned out in a way that makes me not wanting to replace it for the time being. Also, after hearing about epoxy and destroying the handle (which I really like now lol), I am having second thoughts. Nonetheless, thanks for the info. The time of removal might come still in the future, so it's good to know everything I can.

Back