Can't shave!

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
..................quit looking for racism, sexism, exclusisms, prejudices, biases, and phobias in every single aspect of your daily life. How much undo stress and anxiety do you give yourself on a daily basis because of things that you perceive.
Panda posted a picture with a funny quote to go along with it. Get over it. If that type of thing hurts your little feelings than maybe the internet is not your safe space.
I read tons of stuff daily that I don't find funny......I just keep scrolling and move on with my day. Try it sometime.

Back to the thread....I tried to follow the directions of how to make a watch, a little unclear, dick is now stuck in toaster.

I totally understand where you’re all coming from. After watching many YouTube videos the impression I get is that there is almost always a commercial angle included. I suppose that can’t be helped.

The videos from JKI, Murray Carter and Korin feel the most authentic, even though among those there are some differences of opinion.

My needs for maintaining good sharpness are far less than wanting to shave. I’m a cook. I want to have a reliable tool to make my experience easier and more enjoyable.

That said, I sincerely care about my knives. It didn’t take long for me to discover that my electric sharpener was doing more damage than good. I’m now a proud owner of Atoma 140, SG320, and Chosera400, 800 and 3000. Sharpened my first few with mixed results, but I can see this is the right path for me.

Being as I live in close proximity to Manhattan, do you think that any of the better sharpening services might allow me to observe them in person? Thanks for your help

You can always ask, most of those places will have some sort of offer for classes ranging from $50-300.

As much as I am against gadgets and sharpening systems. I might need to acquire something like a sharp maker for these freaking folders as well as small hunting type blades. I haven't given up yet, but damn....

As far as racism and all that, what are you guys even talking about? Stop finding issues where there are none. Seriously, not everything is an offence and death sentence to the forums. Soon we won't be able to make fun of anything, or say anything, even those pesky wrong handed people that want all knives to be ruined for them. I bet they want symmetrical cups and plates too.

even those pesky wrong handed people that want all knives to be ruined for them. I bet they want symmetrical cups and plates too.
How dare you. At least I’m in my right brain. Nothing sinister about THAT.

So, offensive messages are okay if they are frequent enough?

How do you imagine this sort of racist crap would appear to a young Asian chef? Or any young person? Or lots of non-young people?

Some will dismiss it, but there is a profound change occurring, and this sort of nonsense is seen much more readily for the rascist bs that it is.

As the moderator it is in your power to shape the tone of the forum.

To the OP:
I found Murray Carter’s early video, exDVD, now on youtube, very helpful
you're super annoying.

I thought panda was making some sort of high brow pun combining Bruce Lee and Ryky into Bruce Rhee (ky), as a commentary on how Ryky has had a similar mass market appeal in the knife world as Bruce Lee had in martial arts.

Edit: it’s possible I’m reading too much into this.
i thought this was obvious, i'm sure youre not the only one who made this connection right away. dont mind the crying wolf shenanigans.

OK people, this thread is getting out of hand.

That's enough off- topic borderline trolling.

On topic posts only now please.

Only gonna ask nicely once.

Last edited:
Take your ideological wars to another platform. Maybe Twitter?

STOP POLLUTING THIS THREAD NOW.

Last warning.

Hopefully there is no lack of clarity here.

I totally understand where you’re all coming from. After watching many YouTube videos the impression I get is that there is almost always a commercial angle included. I suppose that can’t be helped.

The videos from JKI, Murray Carter and Korin feel the most authentic, even though among those there are some differences of opinion.

My needs for maintaining good sharpness are far less than wanting to shave. I’m a cook. I want to have a reliable tool to make my experience easier and more enjoyable.

That said, I sincerely care about my knives. It didn’t take long for me to discover that my electric sharpener was doing more damage than good. I’m now a proud owner of Atoma 140, SG320, and Chosera400, 800 and 3000. Sharpened my first few with mixed results, but I can see this is the right path for me.

Being as I live in close proximity to Manhattan, do you think that any of the better sharpening services might allow me to observe them in person? Thanks for your help

You don't have to chase this. It just happens. The ability to shave hair is a given at any grit I have ever tried, if the apex is well done. It won't only if someone would "work" against it in more ways than one, as you might imagine. Otherwise, it just will. It's a side effect rather than a goal.
Also, absolutely any sharpening techniques would have the same outcome, I have tried them all. And the alloy is irrelevant, too. It's a matter of how difficult. Same with blade length and so on.
But if it won't cut hair, well, it's rather irrelevant or less problematic than, let's say, a very bad geometry. Up to a point at least. Beyond that it's a serious thing to consider just how far from sharpness it really is.

Ageist!

Chris Rock made a stand-up career mocking not only his own ethnicity, mocking white people also.
Ask Kev about that one. One of the funniest scenes on the American Office. Kevin killed the scene and Michael had to take over.

"I'm new. I want to learn."
We'll help.

"I want to be like Ryky!"
🤷‍♂️
I think in Ryky's early videos he seemed sincere, helpful and down to earth. I really enjoyed many. I'm sure that Ryky helped thousands of people in their quest for knife knowledge. Something changed in his later videos imho , he seems disingenuous now and corrupted. I think he must be bankrolled by select manufacturers and suppliers.

Reactions: ian
I think in Ryky's early videos he seemed sincere, helpful and down to earth. I really enjoyed many. I'm sure that Ryky helped thousands of people in their quest for knife knowledge. Something changed in his later videos imho , he seems disingenuous now and corrupted. I think he must be bankrolled by select manufacturers and suppliers.
Dalstrong.

Hey @Antiboost! Have you gotten closer to shaving over the past 24+ hours?
Well after using my protractor I realised I had been using too sharp an angle. When I carefully and slowly maintained a 15° angle I created what I think is a micro bevel?
Anyway it took 30 minutes as its a hard VG10?? 5" Chinesium knife.
I'm going to get put some softer knives.
_storage_emulated_0_DM_WiFi_PHOTO_2020-07-07-011555.jpg

I didn't notice you mention a good strop after sharpening. Just a layman's perspective but stropping after a sharpening session has definitely improved my edges from where they were just on the stones. Good luck in your pursuit!!
I was trying to do the whetstone final strop. Where you just use alternative strokes with the knife weight alone.

Has anyone else ever noticed the phenomenon that people in business tend to recommend products that they sell?
I have noticed that too, its normal however i think its wrong when they review with negative bias products they don't sell or are not sponsored by. Especially on YouTube with no hint of sponsorship deals or being a distributor etc.

I’m not so sure about that.
I have noticed that too, its normal however i think its wrong when they review with negative bias products they don't sell or are not sponsored by. Especially on YouTube with no hint of sponsorship deals or being a distributor etc.
He reviews things positively all the time that he doesn’t sell. He also reviews things negatively all the time that he doesn’t sell. To have a bias is natural.

Back