• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Kitchen Knife Forums and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

SOLD Capt. unloads some beaters (Prendergast)

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

captaincaed

(____((__________()~~~
KKF Supporting Member
Reaction score
Got a couple of ugly old beaters on the chopping block. Don't buy them, they're uggos. No redeeming qualities. "Warts and all" means "only warts".

I'm moving, and that's forced me to go through things, and realize some aren't getting the love they need. If I don't have to move them, and they can be enjoyed in another home, that's the best solution. If they don't move before I do, I'll probably hang onto them. All have been sharpened once, no other modifications.

KnifemakerTypeSteelConstructionHandleSayaLength (mm)Height (mm)Thick @ heel (mm)Weight (g)Length (in)Weight (oz)
IsasmedjanGyutoAogami SuperWrought cladMasur Birch2465542429.78.5
PredergastChefCarbonWrought cladBog Oak202483.52058.07.2
Shi.HanGyutoA2MonosteelMesquite Ebony & KataloxEdgeguard (plastic)246573.62609.79.2

Isasmedjan
$700 shipped US *Sold*

A beauty. Masur birch, wrought clad aogami super, and a lovely bit of wabi-sabi to top it all off. Weighted forward (centered right between the first two Swedish kanji), which is just a bit more forward than I usually grab. If you like 'em forward-heavy, this one is for you.
1664640995193.png

1664641009221.png

1664641026028.png

ShiHan
$650 shipped US *on hold*

Coming straight out of New Mexico prefecture. The A2 steel takes one of the nastiest, toothiest edges I've ever seen. Plus the banding is gorgeous. Again, forward weighted for those who like them, balances at the very front of the maker's mark kanji.
1664641048651.png

1664641065601.png

Predergast
$450 $350 sold shipped US *looking for a loving home, or sugar mama, either is OK*

Lovely, lovely chunky wrought, sturdy grind and happily for the maker, a very usable length! Very grippy bog oak handle, great for managing wet/fatty tasks like breaking proteins. Balances neutral, right at the heel.

Predergast.jpeg

Last edited:
ShiHan a2 is the move. Not letting go of mine anytime soon!

Shihan? That's the guy sharpening the massdrops right?

That isas is calling my name. And The shihan. And the prendergast. Lemme go run and check my wallet. Can everyone stop posting so much amazing stuff lately please I am going broke

Last edited:
Wow, these are all seriously nice blades. I’d be happy with all three! Surprised to not see them gone yet. That isas and shihan are particularly alluring to me even with how broke I am. The DP would be as well if I didn’t have one on the way already….

Length of the Predergast?
KnifemakerTypeSteelConstructionHandleSayaLength (mm)Height (mm)Thick @ heel (mm)Weight (g)Length (in)Weight (oz)
PredergastChefCarbonWrought cladBog Oak202483.52058.07.2

Try scrolling left and right if you're on your phone - the tables can get cut off on mobile.

The steel was never made public, but I think it's a simple carbon steel. He does work with c105, which is about 1.05% C, with some Cr and Mn to help carbide formation, but is not a semi-stainless or stainless steel.

Latest posts

Back