• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Kitchen Knife Forums and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Bought Carbon cleaver

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MrHiggins

Reaction score
I sent Danzo my Mazaki to try out, and in exchange he sent me his Gesshin small cleaver (200x78 and 285gr.) Trying it out may have converted me to a cleaver-user, and I'd like to buy one that's similar in size, but in full carbon.

Anyone have a small cleaver they're will to part with? Any suggestions for a new one? I'd like to keep the cost under $300.

Thanks as always!

Edit: I probably just want a CCK1303. Any reason not just to pull the trigger on the 1303?

Last edited:
Or a 1302. I’ve owned both. Gave away the 1302, but sometimes wonder if that was the right choice. The size difference is not much. The height and weight are what you feel most; the difference in length is harder to notice. I like gyutos with shorter heels, so I think the 1303 fits me better.

Highly recommend purchasing from Chase Supplies in SF. Better price than anywhere else and very nice people, good communication. Wilson is a super cool dude.

Cck series cleavers will be nothing like the gesshin. You should still get one, because they’re only 60 bucks. But you’ll eventually want something else

i recently bought a Dao vua Chinese cleaver w/ a similar weight and dimension as the Gesshin u mentioned, surprised how sharp the steel gets, was also very easy to thin/reshape the edge. I know I’ll want to upgrade it eventually but it was a good jumping off point

Off the top of my head I can only think of the Suien VC and the Togiharu from Korin that are under $300 and full carbon / non clad

If you can stretch the budget up $15, the gesshin ginga has full carbon Cai dao's as well

Suien VC is a good cleaver, only draw back is the belly. Bigger than the Gesshin, but very thin.

Cck series cleavers will be nothing like the gesshin. You should still get one, because they’re only 60 bucks. But you’ll eventually want something else
Can you tell me why they're so different? If it's just a matter of fit/finish, I'm probably willing to fix those things myself.

Off the top of my head I can only think of the Suien VC and the Togiharu from Korin that are under $300 and full carbon / non clad

If you can stretch the budget up $15, the gesshin ginga has full carbon Cai dao's as well
My mistake, I don't need a monosteel, san mai would be fine too, just not looking for stainless or stainless clad.

Anyone have any experience with the Sugimoto #1 or #30? I'm really liking the specs on the #1. It seems like the only place I can buy it is from Sugimoto directly. Has anyone ever bought anything direct from Sugimoto? That said, the 1303 is about 5 times cheaper and is sold here in the US so I know I could have it in my hands in a few days. The Dao Vua just seems too wonky for me.

Higgens, another option is a Sugimoto 4001. Bought one on Ebay a year ago, the ebay seller Is charging $100 more now. Good knife, but found myself reaching for the Suien VC more. Probably a little thicker & longer than the Gessin. The CCK 1303 is a good knife, but horrible fit & finish. Don;t think the CCK 1303, once the lacquer is removed, it rusts very fast. Faster than any other carbon knife I've had.

Higgens, another option is a Sugimoto 4001. Bought one on Ebay a year ago, the ebay seller Is charging $100 more now. Good knife, but found myself reaching for the Suien VC more. Probably a little thicker & longer than the Gessin. The CCK 1303 is a good knife, but horrible fit & finish. Don;t think the CCK 1303, once the lacquer is removed, it rusts very fast. Faster than any other carbon knife I've had.

Looking at the specs, the 4001 one is probably at the top of my list right now. Do you still have yours? Do you know how much it weighs?

I have Suien VC for sale. Slightly used in perfect confition, with original box. PM me if you are interested.

Last edited:
Sugimoto 4001 weighs 373 grams. My Suien VC weighs 410 grams. But because of the balance, the Sugimoto feels a little more heaftier. the Suien also fits my big hands well. The Sugimoto is iron clad so a bit more reactive than Suien (edit: now that I think about it, the Suien was pretty reactive before the patina). But my Suein is darker as its used more.

Here's a pic of the Suien(top knife) & Sugimoto
20200528_111149.jpg
Choil shot of the Sugimoto
20200528_111223.jpg

If you're interested in thee Sugimoto 4001, I'm open to selling it for $250 (shipped US). It's about what I paid for it a year ago.

Jay

Last edited:
Sugimoto 4001 weighs 373 grams. My Suien VC weighs 410 grams. But because of the balance, the Sugimoto feels a little more heaftier. the Suien also fits my big hands well. The Sugimoto is iron clad so a bit more reactive than Suien (edit: now that I think about it, the Suien was pretty reactive before the patina). But my Suein is darker as its used more.

Here's a pic of the Suien(top knife) & Sugimoto
View attachment 82063
Choil shot of the Sugimoto
View attachment 82064

If you're interested in thee Sugimoto 4001, I'm open to selling it for $250 (shipped US). It's about what I paid for it a year ago.

Jay

Sweet, PM sent!

I have Suien VC for sale. Slightly used in perfect confition, with original box. PM me if you are interested.

Thanks for the offer -- I think the VC looks a little too big. I'm thinking that the Suji 4001 is just at the cusp of what I'd feel comfortable using (it's larger than the Gesshin cleaver I'm playing with now, but hopefully still within my comfort level).

Thanks for the offer -- I think the VC looks a little too big. I'm thinking that the Suji 4001 is just at the cusp of what I'd feel comfortable using (it's larger than the Gesshin cleaver I'm playing with now, but hopefully still within my comfort level).

Dont worry about size- bigger is better :) Whish you luck with good pick 👍

I might suggest Pallares Solsona Carbon Cleaver, I do not own a cleaver but a chefs knife and they work the carbon really great. For the money, you won´t get any better maybe.

have a look at bern., i think they have them.

Latest posts

Back