carbon damascus care?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

inferno

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) <*))))><
Reaction score
i just wonder how you guys take care of your carbon damascus blades.
I see many really nice damascus blades in the new knives thread but i wonder what it takes to keep them looking good.
are these just drawer queens or actual users for you?
do you re-etch them?

i wonder what it takes to keep them looking good.
Just a little respect and care..... but seriously, all I do is rinse/wash as necessary immediately after use. Immediately wipe on a clean dry towel to get off as much waster as possible, set on the counter to air dry and then hang on my magnetic holders. I live in the rainy PNW and haven't had any problems.
do you re-etch them?
On the off chance someone doesn't immediately clean them and then scrubs too aggressively to have the pattern fade, (it's happened a time or two. Maybe this is why I'm a confirmed bachelor....) a coffee etch works to bring back the contrast if needed.

Last edited:
ya metal polish or a baking soda slurry wipedown every couple days if you wanna keep it shiny and patina free

buy you also kinda want to see the contrast in the damascus right. you know keep the pattern looking nice.

If it's iron clad, I almost always do a ferric chloride dip. Not only does it help the contrast pop, but it seems to ward of the oranges a bit better. The iron orange patina is inevitable, though. Purposely wiping your blade with lemon and immediately drying it works like a magic orange eraser, I have found.

I have a damascus kitchen knife that I struggled with the finish on for a while. I came to the conclusion that keeping the high contrast pattern was at odds with normal use, thinning, and keeping the knife performing at a high level. I eventually started treating it the same as any other carbon steel, thinning whenever I felt like it and just letting the natural patina bring out the pattern. It is definitely a matter of taste, but I tend to like the more subtle and uneven patterning that develops from just letting the knife patina naturally.

This is what Trey @Comet supplied with all his knives. Its a fine powder that will remove patina and/or surface rust, without affecting the original finish. Apply dry or mixed with a little oil. Then either use hot white vinegar (Kips method), Ferric Chloride solution or coffee to bring out the pattern in the damascus.
https://www.ebay.com/p/1031712489?iid=351324955094

came to the conclusion that keeping the high contrast pattern was at odds with normal use. . .
IMO, the biggest determinant on how long the pattern will retain the contrast in the pattern is how deep/long the initial etch is. The deeper the etch, the longer the oxides will stay trapped in the low spots and not get scrubbed/rubbed off with use. I try to etch my blades long enough so that I can feel the topography with a finger nail.
Like everything, however, there is a trade off. The deeper the etch, the more serrated the edge will be.

IMO, the biggest determinant on how long the pattern will retain the contrast in the pattern is how deep/long the initial etch is. The deeper the etch, the longer the oxides will stay trapped in the low spots and not get scrubbed/rubbed off with use. I try to etch my blades long enough so that I can feel the topography with a finger nail.
Like everything, however, there is a trade off. The deeper the etch, the more serrated the edge will be.
And if you want to thin the blade behind the edge?

Let the killing spree begin

tenor.gif

A few years ago me and Larrin went to the WR Case factory to visit because we made lots of pattern welded damascus for them every year. They have made thousands of pocket knives from our carbon damascus. After our visit, we traveled across town to the museum and gift shop. I picked out several pocket knives to buy, the wife of one of the big wigs asked me if I knew how to care for carbon damascus. I told her that I was the guy making the damascus for them. She gave out a big laugh and said how funny I was. Then she told me to keep the blade clean and oiled.

Hoss

Back