Carbon Skillets - how to forge?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

erezj

Reaction score
New project, new research...

Decided to try and build a carbon skillet, just spent quite a few hours researching, but still missing some crucial data:
1. Steel: Which steel is appropriate for a carbon skillet? I would assume the 'simple' ones, 1070, 1095... any one knows?
2. Thickness: saw some reference to 14 gauge - any recommendations?

Any reference materials, ideas, experience will be most appreciated.

I have 10+ carbon steel pans and think 2 mm to 3 mm is the best for thickness. One from blu skillet has 2.5 mm thickness. DeBuyer uses 3 mm steel, but it can be too heavy and hard for forging. Turk uses 2.5 mm thickness as well. Japanese makers provide thinner pans around 1.6 mm, but if you don't cook Japanese foods, thinner pans don't have much advantage.

I have no idea about materials, but you don't need any heat treatment, so any steel would work? AFIK Solidteknics sells their pans as they are made of wrought iron, but I have no idea what's the difference from normal steel.

New project, new research...

Decided to try and build a carbon skillet, just spent quite a few hours researching, but still missing some crucial data:
1. Steel: Which steel is appropriate for a carbon skillet? I would assume the 'simple' ones, 1070, 1095... any one knows?
2. Thickness: saw some reference to 14 gauge - any recommendations?

Any reference materials, ideas, experience will be most appreciated.

The way to make a carbon steel pan is to spin it, or maybe stamp it. When they say "carbon steel", they just mean non-stainless, not tool or spring steel.
Trying to forge one will only make you sore, poor, and deaf.

The way to make a carbon steel pan is to spin it, or maybe stamp it. When they say "carbon steel", they just mean non-stainless, not tool or spring steel.

This

Dan,

Spot on !

Now I get it, and I guess its time to start the forge and see what comes out.

love this site

thanks

Back