Carrot wedge test

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I decided to do a little comparison with some of my knives with 2 knives that I borrowed from @Carl Kotte. This isn't actually a wedging test, just shooting videos while doing prep for the grill at home. All the knives in the videos are 53mm tall or more at the heel. Originally I was planned to show these to @Carl Kotte but I needed to create a YouTube channel cause I cutted so damn slow 😂 and all the videos are over 1 minute, so what the heck, just as well I can share it here too. This isn't a knife skills performance, so bare with me. I was trying to focus about how the ease of cutting in hand differs from knife to knife and I hope at least some will show in the videos too. I cut potatoes too, and those are uploading there too, so...

Knives:
Kamon 265*60
Catcheside 260*60
Watanabe 270*60
HVB 240*58
Sab 337g
Comet 230*58
Mazaki 245*53
Tsourkan 240*54
Yu Kurosaki chuka
Isasmedjan 250*57

All the gyutos weight over 250gr, so no lasers here.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLm8yZF7yZZkyZXuAG8h9oouJviLXSnqzh
IMG_20200825_155653.jpg

Last edited:
Nice work! The Kamon looked to be the only one that cut as smooth and effortlessly as the Mazaki and Wat. The Yu Chuka was nice too :)

Nice work! The Kamon looked to be the only one that cut as smooth and effortlessly as the Mazaki and Wat. The Yu Chuka was nice too :)
The Kamon I could little bit more force compared with Wat or Catcheside. Especially the Wat is so thin that I need to remind myself of using very little force cause otherwise it tends to stick in the board. Kurosaki chuka is a very fun knife 😊

Nice! Yeah that sounds about right based upon my usage of those brands as well. Haven't used Kamon but used/own Catcheside, Wat, Mazaki so gives me a good frame of reference :)

I decided to do a little comparison with some of my knives with 2 knives that I borrowed from @Carl Kotte. This isn't actually a wedging test, just shooting videos while doing prep for the grill at home. All the knives in the videos are 53mm tall or more at the heel. Originally I was planned to show these to @Carl Kotte but I needed to create a YouTube channel cause I cutted so damn slow 😂 and all the videos are over 1 minute, so what the heck, just as well I can share it here too. This isn't a knife skills performance, so bare with me. I was trying to focus about how the ease of cutting in hand differs from knife to knife and I hope at least some will show in the videos too. I cut potatoes too, and those are uploading there too, so...

Knives:
Kamon 265*60
Catcheside 260*60
Watanabe 270*60
HVB 240*58
Sab 337g
Comet 230*58
Mazaki 245*53
Tsourkan 240*54
Yu Kurosaki chuka
Isasmedjan 250*57

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLm8yZF7yZZkyZXuAG8h9oouJviLXSnqzh
Oh man thanks for doing this. Not many people do such a great comparison set of videos.

That Kamon looks quite fun...

Amazing videos, I got lost, don’t remember who’s who. How about a simple ranking A>B>C... for us laymen’s?

The Isasmedjan was cracking pretty loud, was it that bad? I am on the waiting list, need to know.

The Isasmedjan isnt that bad. It needs some thinning behind the edge allthought and the HVB would benefit with some thinning too. My custom Isa is much thinner behind the edge and wedge much less.

Ranking

Including potatoes

Performance
1 Kamon,
2 Wat,
3 Catcheside
4 Mazaki

Feeling

1 Wat/Sabatier
2 Catcheside
3 Mazaki
4 Kamon

Oh man thanks for doing this. Not many people do such a great comparison set of videos.

That Kamon looks quite fun...
Thank you. This was actually quite easy, just set mobilephone and start cutting stuff. Only time it took was to wash/wipe after cutting.

The Isasmedjan isnt that bad. It needs some thinning behind the edge allthought and the HVB would benefit with some thinning too. My custom Isa is much thinner behind the edge and wedge much less.

Ranking

Including potatoes

Performance
1 Kamon,
2 Wat,
3 Catcheside
4 Mazaki

Feeling

1 Wat/Sabatier
2 Catcheside
3 Mazaki
4 Kamon

Thanks! Looks like the 270 guys are out performing 240 guys, not surprising as a trend. The increased weight & height both helps I think.

Thanks! Looks like the 270 guys are out performing 240 guys, not surprising as a trend. The increased weight & height both helps I think.
Yes, the big boys won imo this one. The Sab while having some actual wedging was a big positive suprise. I can imagine that it would shine in prokitchen with massive preps. Heavy and having the fingerquard buth still really comfortable and good balance.

Ranking

Including potatoes

Performance
1 Kamon,
2 Wat,
3 Catcheside
4 Mazaki

Feeling

1 Wat/Sabatier
2 Catcheside
3 Mazaki
4 Kamon

Which version of the Mazaki do you have? Do you have a choil shot available?

I had the great pleasure to borrow the Kamon and the HVB from @IsoJ some time ago. I was impressed by both but fell in love (slightly and platonically) with hvb. It did need a little thinning but apart from that it felt pretty darn wonderful. I expected it to be placed very high in the ranking of this test. It didn’t. Why? Well, I guess that shows how great all other knives were (too) because the hvb was a joy to use. Great videos Jari!

I had the great pleasure to borrow the Kamon and the HVB from @IsoJ some time ago. I was impressed by both but fell in love (slightly and platonically) with hvb. It did need a little thinning but apart from that it felt pretty darn wonderful. I expected it to be placed very high in the ranking of this test. It didn’t. Why? Well, I guess that shows how great all other knives were (too) because the hvb was a joy to use. Great videos Jari!
Thanks Calle. If I had to choose one knife from my "collection" which holds up the rought use, it would be HVB. It has some of the wedging but beside that it is a superb knife. A real kitchen plower 😊.

I received this Shibata about 2 hours ago. Get so excited and can't wait to try it immediately. It's the first time I use it and the profile is a little more curvy than I thought, so I might have just shown a scratch of its potential here, but overall I like it. It's like a beefy laser. Weigh like a beast but thin carrot slices stick to it like to a laser haha. I like it better than my previous Shibata R2 and AS 240s.

I received this Shibata about 2 hours ago. Get so excited and can't wait to try it immediately. It's the first time I use it and the profile is a little more curvy than I thought, so I might have just shown a scratch of its potential here, but overall I like it. It's like a beefy laser. Weigh like a beast but thin carrot slices stick to it like to a laser haha. I like it better than my previous Shibata R2 and AS 240s.

Good job, nice board😍😍

Back