Carrot wedge test

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah, my technique is not impressive, but it didn’t have anything to do with the accident. I was cooking at my mom’s: her boards and gear (which is quite ok, though every knife is small) and my children trying to pull my pants while I was tackling some veggies.

Damn, had to do a video myself. Note: it doesn’t reflect actual performance very well. The carrot was uneven [emoji16]
In order of appearance: Mazaki 250, Munetoshi 210, wakui 210, Dalman 250, Tojiro PRO 240, Kippington 180 (it’s so thin it stuck [emoji23]), Isasmedjan 225 (which can’t be seen in use).

https://www.instagram.com/p/B8PIxKNnIyb/?igshid=zi0nf3vbvdtk

Last edited:
This is one gory carrot thread.

The finger lift technique is interesting. I curl my middle finger more instead and use the second knuckle for blade contact when going fast.

Damn, had to do a video myself. Note: it doesn’t reflect actual performance very well. The carrot was uneven [emoji16]
In order of appearance: Mazaki 250, Munetoshi 210, wakui 210, Dalman 250, Tojiro PRO 240, Kippington 180 (it’s so thin it stuck [emoji23]), Isasmedjan 225 (which can’t be seen in use).

https://www.instagram.com/p/B8PIxKNnIyb/?igshid=zi0nf3vbvdtk

Aw man... mine had to be the last through the hardest part! :p
It really shows the shinogi on both sides can get in the way during cuts like this, reminding me of that recent thread about disadvantages to wide bevels.

how did this turn into a gore thread. need some eye bleach.

wedge tests are cool though .

The carrot was uneven [emoji16]
Wonky fruit and veg? I thought the EU made those illegal......

Loving this thread. Lets see an Ashi Honyaki, Kato Dammy and all the other Unicorns do the same thing. And no TF Denka's? Mine cut through the carrot like hot knife through butter.

Aw man... mine had to be the last through the hardest part! :p
It really shows the shinogi on both sides can get in the way during cuts like this, reminding me of that recent thread about disadvantages to wide bevels.

Haha, I know. You should have seen Isasmedjan [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23] The thing is I did a video afterwards in reverse order of appearance: I meant to post it, but my wife appeared during the third cut (in her pjs) and started mocking me for making a video of carrots (That’s valid I suppose). That kind of ruined things. Well anyways, I guess you’re not surprised to hear that the little bunka did a lot better that time. [emoji16][emoji1305]

Wonky fruit and veg? I thought the EU made those illegal......

Loving this thread. Lets see an Ashi Honyaki, Kato Dammy and all the other Unicorns do the same thing. And no TF Denka's? Mine cut through the carrot like hot knife through butter.
Video or it didn't happen. Show us how well the Denka does;)

They make a lot of the cooks where those cut gloves at a lot of the units I work in. They do a help a lot when you’re first starting out. Been there. I think the pinch grip callus can get pretty rough too eventually. I know mine is pretty nasty haha

Sometimes you can give yourself a little skin graft if you have the presence of mind to move quick, grab the chunk of flesh off of the cutting board and super glue it back on. You got too much nail for that though.
It feels really weird when the skin comes back but the nail is still gone.... Thank you Mexican hot chocolate and a thick, dull knife. Curved under my curled fingers to bite me. Not my finest moment.

I do this several times per year. At this point my finger is all scar tissue right there.

View attachment 70737

But do you have a sweet flat spot in the profile of your index finger?
20200206_142141.jpg

Can you add some more videos of you cutting yourself please? I really enjoy watching those… ;)

I probably have other videos of me hurting myself, but alas I will not share them here. I have contributed enough to the off topic bloodiness. Probably not what @CiderBear intended when she just wanted to talk about carrot wedgies. I blame @ian.

Question about cutting stuff, actually: ideally, how tall should your elbow be relative to the cutting surface? I'm about 158 cm tail, and I always feel like the standard counter height is a bit tall for me, then add 2-3 inch of cutting board on top of that...

Probably depends partly on the handle angle though, right?

Yes, handle angle and blade height matter. Realistically, just don't want to be in a T-Rex stance or a "The onions are burning my eyes" extended arm stance. And wrist(s) not in bad angles.

If you are standing with your arms down looking at your cutting board it should be somewhere beneath your elbows and above your waist. That's about as general as you can get. If your counters are too high then try using your kitchen table.

Back