Carrot wedge test

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It also has the advantage of not needing any force applied, the weight is plenty!

Gordon Ramsey said: "Let the knife do the work" and thus it was done!

I’ll just leave this here.

images.jpeg

Which Yoshikane in your video? That seems like really smooth cutting.
SKD from Carbon Knife Co. Reaaalllly nice handle too. Grippy even wet. The edge was so thin, I wrecked it cutting onions on endgrain. I have never done that, ever. Now it has a sensible microbevel.
2FBF5002-452B-435C-BF32-6B21EB935B5E.jpeg
57C41D47-F415-4417-8140-4602B7F38D15.jpeg

Last edited:
That vid should be the answer to the "difference between a 210 and 240?" that's been recently posed.

Not exactly a fair match, as the 210 got the bigger end of the carrot.
(Not that I’m a fan of 210s.)
I think being able to use most of the length makes an easier cut. Especially with a pull that takes advantage of the distal taper.

That Yoshikane SKD cuts amazingly smooth on carrot, I had a white2 Yoshikane but it wedges on tall carrot

The kono ys yoshikane are really good performers.

What are your subjective impressions of the cutting action of the three knives?
I just sold off four knives in part so I could afford one of these. I really like how Yoshi cuts. I've had a total of four and bought a couple for friends. I also had the Masashi, who worked at Yoshi until he branched out on his own. I haven't had a dud in the whole bunch. The spine is wide enough to be comfy, the edge is thin enough to be scary. The blade road is polished, and can be sticky if you don't get food above the shoulder line. I think if you wanted to change that behavior, buffing the blade road on something like a synthetic aoto would leave a nice contrast but rougher surface that would release easier. I've stopped caring quite so much about food release since I cook at home and don't need it like a production kitchen does.

I sold the Masashi in part because I like a slightly lower heel, and I bought SKD because I like sharpening it better than SLD (basically A2 vs. D2, respectively). After buying SLD for myself and SKD for friends, I decided I liked sharpening SKD better and switched.

Nice thread guys.

Also Sukenari HAP40 210 cuts like there was nothing there.

Yoshida Hamono Nakiri ZDP-189 wedge heavily

Attachments

• 1616220682995.jpeg
    1616220682995.jpeg
    60.5 KB · Views: 27
I just sold off four knives in part so I could afford one of these. I really like how Yoshi cuts. I've had a total of four and bought a couple for friends. I also had the Masashi, who worked at Yoshi until he branched out on his own. I haven't had a dud in the whole bunch. The spine is wide enough to be comfy, the edge is thin enough to be scary. The blade road is polished, and can be sticky if you don't get food above the shoulder line. I think if you wanted to change that behavior, buffing the blade road on something like a synthetic aoto would leave a nice contrast but rougher surface that would release easier. I've stopped caring quite so much about food release since I cook at home and don't need it like a production kitchen does.

I sold the Masashi in part because I like a slightly lower heel, and I bought SKD because I like sharpening it better than SLD (basically A2 vs. D2, respectively). After buying SLD for myself and SKD for friends, I decided I liked sharpening SKD better and switched.
Masashi grind was pretty good, hated the steel and profile didn't work for me.

I was checking out those sukenari hap 40s today actually. So enjoyable cutters?
I have a Sukenari 240 K-tip gyuto in HAP-40. I like using the knife. The grind is what I'd call "medium". Definitely not a laser, but not a workhorse either. Food release isn't brilliant because of the mirror polish. But it's a fine knife, and I use it regularly.

I've had the knife for over a year, and it still has its factory edge. Definitely holds its edge for a long time.
IMG_3462.jpeg

I have a Sukenari 240 K-tip gyuto in HAP-40. I like using the knife. The grind is what I'd call "medium". Definitely not a laser, but not a workhorse either. Food release isn't brilliant because of the mirror polish. But it's a fine knife, and I use it regularly.

I've had the knife for over a year, and it still has its factory edge. Definitely holds its edge for a long time.
View attachment 119473
nice photo, handle looks great!

Back