Carter 5.2 sun Deba v. Takeda 180mm Deba

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mint427

Reaction score
Which would you purchase? I've read a lot about both knives and am leaning toward the
Takeda for cost reasons. Thanks!

I may be wrong, but neither if these knives is a true deba in that they are not single bevel knives. They are both double bevel knives w/ symetrical grinds. In some of JKI's vids, Jon mentions that in some regions, knife makers only make double bevel knives, but that seems an exception.

IMO, Takeda's are WAY over priced for what they are, but they get a lot of love. Lots of love for Carter's too. Out of the two you mentioned, I'd definitely go w/ the Carter.

If you want a true deba, for that kind of money there much better options that some others can point you towards. Some folks feel a deba is a knife that will take abuse, therefore don't spend a lot of money on one. Then there are folks that feel a deba is a key knife for Japanese cuisine where cleaning and filelted fish is of the highest importance, and a quality deba is essential. No other knife can fillet a fish as cleanly as a deba.

If you aren't looking for a true deba and want a Western deba for heavy duty work like hacking up chickens, etc. I still think there are more cost effective options.

thanks, mpukas. I do fish a lot and prepare larger fish (salmon & halibut). I confess that I'm a bit confused by the differences in deba style knives. I like the idea of a single bevel blade and thought most deba's are designed that way. I was looking for a more traditional style, so I appreciate you pointing out that both of the mentioned knives are double beveled.

I just sold a Carter deba - double bevel. I used it for chicken. I don't think it would be great for filleting fish - a traditional single bevel would be a better choice.

The Moritaka's and Takeda's sold by He Who Shall Not Be Named are all double bevel knives; ex - the yanagiba's are double bevel and are really more of a sujihiki. The Zakuri line that JKI sells are also double bevel knives, and Jon explains that in his vid describing this line. Typically, a deba is a single bevel knife w/ a hamaguri edge and a hollow ground or convex back side.

I'm still learning about traditional Japanese knives and their intended uses. I've come to understand that a deba is only used to clean and fillet a fish; once the fillets are removed, other knives are used for skinning and portioning. Typically. There are of course exceptions to everything. There are other knives that are used to fillet fish, but I've yet to see a deba used effectively for anything other than cleaning and filleting fish. I've seen some vids claiming a deba can be used for breaking down chicken and other types of creatures, but I think there are knives that are better suited to those tasks. Traditional J-knives are designed for specific tasks in Japanese cuisine, and while some can be adapted to western cuisine tasks, they are not always ideal, and more often than not unnecessary.

I really want to get a deba too, but I honestly have no use for one (as well as a usuba). I just want to have first hand experience and direct knowledge of, so when some day I do want to filelt a whole fish for sushi, I'll be able to have a decent crack at it.

Awhile back "bishamon" was selling some really awesome larger debas in the b/s/t section of this forum.

I bought the smallest one which was a 180mm misuno in blue #2. I believe he had a 210 or 240 and a 270 at a really amazing price that never sold.
-Might be worth shooting him an email to see if he's still got any that he's selling.

FWIW, a deba is a knife that I'd definitely go single bevel on. With a blade that thick, the single bevel makes it much easier to get close to the bone or skin (aka to filet).

Also, Jon at Japanese kife imports holds the susiin honyaki deba in very high regard and his opinion counts for a lot in my book. There's a whole thread on it and lots of video of it in action in his vendor sub-forum.

I've been looking hard at Jon's Susiin products as well. I'm really happy that I posted the inquiry, even though it's a bit embarrassing to learn how little I really know about the difference in these knives. I recommend to the newb's like me to ask before you buy! Thanks to all who responded....

I just bought the little carter deba from Peco and used it today.

Its great in that I went though a case of chicken, three black cod, two Atlantic salmon, and popped the heads off a half dozen snapper, and still had a brand new edge on my other knives.

On the other hand... I tried filleting a few flounder, and ended up just setting them aside for bouillabaisse. It could have been my baddie sharpening job, or being unfamiliar with the new knife, but the fillets didn't shine as cleanly as we like for sushi bar.

U got good use of it, good to hear :D

For what it is worth I'd take the Suisin Inox Deba over the Carter anyday.

Back