Carter cutlery opinions

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I consider Carter's knife as overpriced.
Yes, they are good knives.
Yes, Murray is a star.
Yes, they have some style.
Yes, the grind is good.

BUT:
- the HT is not always consistent.
- the finish is rough

For the same type of price you can get a much better knife, IMHO.

Still, I am happy to own one that I bought second hand at a very good price. I would have never bought one new;

I consider Carter's knife as overpriced.
Yes, they are good knives.
Yes, Murray is a star.
Yes, they have some style.
Yes, the grind is good.

BUT:
- the HT is not always consistent.
- the finish is rough

For the same type of price you can get a much better knife, IMHO.

Still, I am happy to own one that I bought second hand at a very good price. I would have never bought one new;

I agree with this.
I have considered selling my Muteki many times. I really wasn't happy with the grind, but after a lot of sharpening and thinning sessions i learnt a lot and have turned it into my ideal profile and geometry. Almost like an unfinished knife that you finish into what you view it should be.
I think its accolades are that its easy on the stones, and that's about it.

I've got 2 carters, and they both are amazing cutters. His profiles are kind of all over the place, but once you find something that fits what you're looking for, I'd go for it.

This is an old thread but I thought I had something to add.

The varied profiles add a lot of unique options, but also highlight one thing : there is no set plan for profiles. There are exceptions such as the perfect model kitchen knife (if you can live with the handle) and some of the muteki clearly have a style and purpose to some of their work.

My own experience was getting a knife that needed to be reprofiled. That work in turn changed the overall grind and cutting feel. I'm happy with the result, but the knife didn't have a clear use case as it came to me and I have to acknowledge that.

Sharpening is easy, but I think you need to know when to quit, so you don't over grind and shorten the life of the knife. All my handles from the past two years have been excellent (3 knives). Some of the best in the drawer. No gaps or lips, no weird sizes. Blade finishes and grinds have also been top notch, if rustic.

I think it helps to REALLY know what kind of knife you like first, and then there are some very good options.

I’ve had knives from every series and wouldn’t hesitate to buy one again. His neck knives are some of the best I’ve ever used. Ryan

I loved carters when they were 300-400 bucks. Can’t seem to justify nowadays.

What's up with the "2" on the blade? Second?

I don't think cladding is that low by design. That would make no sense

Last edited:
That
I don't know if 2 means cladding is at the edge. This knife has cladding on the edge, too, and is the first knife I've seen like that. It's the second picture.

https://www.cartercutlery.com/knives/knives/master-smith/8-5-master-smith-108-high-grade-gyuto/

That knife came up as an example of cladding at the edge in this thread, too:
https://www.kitchenknifeforums.com/...vel-knives-quality-control.40830/#post-603117

I'm wondering if the "2" stamp is because the knife is a second... I haven't seen Carters with a "2" before.
(I actually have a second from about a decade ago--Murray covered the logo with "X" stamps. It's a great knife actually.)

Flick to the third pic on homepage and you'll see another
https://homebutcher.com

Good eye. Interesting. The two on either side of it don't have "2":
upload_2019-5-2_23-8-14.png

I have been fortunate enough to have several Carter and Muteki knives. I'm lucky in that I am able to visit the shop in less than 30 minutes from my house. If you are able to see the knives first hand, and pick through the selection, his knives are outstanding. Ordering online based on looks only can be tougher. Murray can pick knives for you if you give preferences though, so if folks want to get one from the web shop, don't be afraid to ask questions first. The Muteki boys are putting out some really nice knives, especially Alex and Jamison. They've really refined things over the past two years, with Alex doing more striking designs and Jamison following more closely in Murray's aesthetic. I highly recommend their knives.

Single bevel leftie with hollow back? :rolleyes:

But I wonder how Carter's return policy is...

However, I have had 3 Carter Muteki knives. All 3 of them were immaculate. But you need to know what you want and like and then be lucky seeing a knife that you like. I mean, his shapes are all over the place, and the angled pics are not much help identifying the blade shape...

Last edited:
One thing I would like to add: choil shots are no more than an image of the choil area. Even if the choil looks awkward, that doesn’t necessarily mean that the whole blade is awkward...

One thing I would like to add: choil shots are no more than an image of the choil area. Even if the choil looks awkward, that doesn’t necessarily mean that the whole blade is awkward...

I can appreciate that with distal taper this is an accurate statement. I can assure you that this blade was pretty weird, almost like a single bevel left hand (I’m a lefty, but this isn’t what I wanted to buy especially with no disclosure). Fortunately I was able to return it before using, but it cost me a lot in return shipping, time and customs (had to pay twice since they didn’t declare the replacement appropriately)… plus I got a good lecture from Murray lol

Think the lecture should've been the other direction...

Edit to add I've only owned one Carter... back when it was AS steel. Knife cut great, fit and finish was rather meh for the money... and his blades used to be a lot cheaper (and made by MC).

Old salty videos of Carter's show they used to cut pretty damn well...
But its another case of $3-400 knife becoming $800-1000+ inflated widget
and thus no longer very 'intersting' to great many people

Back