• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Kitchen Knife Forums and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

SOLD Carter Stainless Fukugozai White #1 Funayuki

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

captaincaed

(____((__________()~~~
KKF Supporting Member
Reaction score
Description
Returning to grad school this fall, otherwise this would not be for sale. Lightly used in a home kitchen. Handles is osage orange, white maple with micarta spacer, and is seamless to the touch. This makes a great travel knife, boat knife, glamping knife, wife knife or guest knife. It’s a very special piece that sharpens very easily, yet is easy to care for.

Disclosures
Knife has been sharpened many times, so the knife may want a little thinning, but I’ll leave this to your preferences. The flow on the board has been smoothed out so it's currently the best I own. Right now, food release is actually quite good, due a slight bit of convexity right behind the edge. It’s still a Carter, though, so it’s wicked thin and slides through veggies.

Dimensions
Heel to tip - 160mm
Height @ heel - 42mm (plenty of knuckle clearance, actually good for board work)
Width @ stamp (Carter’s measurement point) - 1.9mm

Included
- Knife
- Saya with pin (see last picture)
- Original box

Price
USD $425 (new knives from Carter this style and length are currently $550)

Price includes PP fees and USPS Priority shipping. CONUS shipping only.

Photos

P1130213.JPG
P1130214.JPG
P1130215.JPG
P1130216.JPG
P1130217.JPG
P1130218.JPG
P1130219.JPG
P1130228.JPG

Last edited:
Smith is Carter himself, you can tell from the stamp. Not Muteki.
It is thin and nimble for silverskin. May be a little tall, depending on what you like. But it sharpens really easily, so if you need to touch it up in the middle of butchery, it's not a huge pain. Thats one thing in its favor. Stainless steels just take so much deburring (and a couple blues I’ve used) to get going again, white steel is nicer for me.

Last edited:
yeah, I think the height is what I'm most concerned about. It's a similar height to a gyuto correct? Do you know what the intended purpose of the knife style is? Basically a shorter gyuto?

Intended purpose is a small home chef/boat knife. From what I recall, a funayuki is a fisherman's boat knife for breaking fish and other general tasks in a small space, a multi-purpose knife. The heel is high enough for some knuckle clearance, but it's not terribly tall. You can see the scale in the Sabatier picture.

If you like a little board clearance, it's nice, if you're looking for a true boning knife, it's likely too tall. But the tip is acute and thin and will get under silver skin.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back