Quantcast

Carter with a Notch

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

mhenry

Founding Member
Reaction score
I was thinking of mounting this handle so there is an exposed machi notch like Konosuke does. I really like the look what do you guys think

IMG_0433.jpg

stevenStefano

Reaction score
Wasn't there a thread about why this part is exposed on some knives and not others? I guess it makes the knife look a little different since I doubt anyone else has thought of doing this on a Carter

apicius9

Das HandleMeister
Founding Member
Reaction score
Excellent work! I did the same thing with my Carter funayuki, left a small machi. I wasn't sure about it at the time and today I wish I hadn't, so it's worth making up your mind before the epoxy comes out...

Stefan

Pensacola Tiger

Founding Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Great looking handle, Mike!

It is a different look, but I have to admit I like it better without the gap, though.

SpikeC

Reaction score
I love the handle, but the gap makes it look unfinished to me.

Burl Source

Weird Wood Pusher
Reaction score
Beautiful handle
but...... I like it better without the gap.

Lefty

Canada's Sharpest Lefty
Founding Member
Reaction score
Great handle, Mike!
I'm gonna go against the grain and say, go with the machi, but only if you're 100% sure you want it that way.
Very cool thinking. I love how you don't always "follow the rules". In my opinion, the greats rarely do.

Marko Tsourkan

Reaction score
Great looking handle.
I find the notch hard to ignore when using a knife and your thumb running over it. As a rule, I have machi flush against the handle. I corrected a couple of Konosuke that I rehandled.

To go a little further, I would say that sometimes it appears as a skipped step in a knife-making process (squaring machi) than a style or a regional feature. You can tell it from how evenly the machi has been shaped or squared.

M

echerub

Founding Member
Reaction score
Actually, I kinda like it.

You just have to decide for yourself if you like it :)

EdipisReks

Reaction score
i owned a Konosuke with a very pronounced gap. didn't bother me at all. the edges had all been nicely broken, so it wasn't uncomfortable.

RRLOVER

Reaction score
I like it with out a gap.....Great job on the handle:thumbsup: Is that another bone ferrule,cuz I love it.

tk59

Founding Member
Reaction score
Nice job! I have a slight preference for no gap but I don't mind them.

JohnnyChance

Founding Member
Reaction score
Love the handle, don't love the gap. But hey, it's not my knife, whatever suits you!

GLE1952

Reaction score
Close call but I prefer no gap.
Great looking handle!

Glen

Chef Niloc

Banned
Reaction score
One of my watanabe's ( maybe more then one?) came like that, so I guess it's not a "no no " in the J knife world? I for one don'nt like it back then. Yours looks good, give us a update after you use it a bit, I think I reamember not likeing the way it felt on my 1st finger. Again looks pro & great handle.

Darkhoek

Banned
Reaction score
I think the blade and handle looks so harmonic together so I would close the gap.

DarKHOeK

mhenry

Founding Member
Reaction score
Finally got around to mounting this thing, I decided to go with a small notch. I was hoping this handle would resemble its big brother? Thanks guys for the input and kind words

IMG_0503.jpg

IMG_0511.jpg

SpikeC

Reaction score
Very cool, the small notch works much better!

JohnnyChance

Founding Member
Reaction score
Finally got around to mounting this thing, I decided to go with a small notch. I was hoping this handle would resemble its big brother? Thanks guys for the input and kind words
You have too many. Can I have one?