Carter's Honest Edge Ranch

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Haters gonna hate..

Nah, we don’t hate Carter. Just make tun of him. He does make good knives (though it seems they dropped the hand laminated kurouchi series) and is apparently a good business man too. It appears he takes more joy in leading the company and teaching his apprentices than spending 10 hours a day in the shop forging one blade after another. He just seemed to have developed an attitude that not everyone is enchanted with, thus the jokes and mild attacks. I wish him well. I know of no other respected bladesmith that takes so many apprentices and gives them a job.

Nah, we don’t hate Carter. Just make tun of him. He does make good knives (though it seems they dropped the hand laminated kurouchi series) and is apparently a good business man too. It appears he takes more joy in leading the company and teaching his apprentices than spending 10 hours a day in the shop forging one blade after another. He just seemed to have developed an attitude that not everyone is enchanted with, thus the jokes and mild attacks. I wish him well. I know of no other respected bladesmith that takes so many apprentices and gives them a job.
Well said.

Well at least he's not wearing bright red nail polish as he lovingly examines the edge.
The way you've phrased that sounds as though you're glad he's not. I, for one, would prefer it if he was, I think it would work well with the overall narrative he's building here.

The way you've phrased that sounds as though you're glad he's not. I, for one, would prefer it if he was, I think it would work well with the overall narrative he's building here.
Maybe Chelsea will make a guest appearance. This dude ranch needs a few dudettes for balance.
Screen Shot 2020-09-20 at 2.59.01 PM.png

Hmmm. Some very harsh comments. To be perfectly honest, if I had the money—which I don't—sounds like a fun time and opportunity. I've been so cooped up in NYC since Covid, that the itinerary sounds up my alley—knives, outdoors, with a legend, etc. I've nothing against MC, nor the money he's charging TBH. I don't complain about menu prices at four star restaurants.

Read the offer...
Would you pay for the meal, one year in advance or enjoy the meal now before the restaurant is finished?
Yeah, had read the offer. As I mentioned, it would be if I had the money—which I don't. For a restaurant, if it were a starred chef like Ferran, Redzepi, Bras, et al—yeah, I'd pay in advanced for a seat at a yet to be finished restaurant. Trade fairs I've done, we'd have to pay in advance for a booth.

loved his knives back in 2011 when they were 200 bucks. He’s performed as well as the stock market.

loved his knives back in 2011 when they were 200 bucks. He’s performed as well as the stock market.

I'm all for knife makers raising their prices based on experience and reputation—gotta make a living. It's like almost any other type of work, start at minimum wage and work your way up. He's paid his dues, has business savvy, and priced his knives and his brand fairly for his target audience. If people sign up for his 'Honest Edge Ranch, then he's read the market right. I'm not his audience, but good for him.

Yeah, had read the offer. As I mentioned, it would be if I had the money—which I don't. For a restaurant, if it were a starred chef like Ferran, Redzepi, Bras, et al—yeah, I'd pay in advanced for a seat at a yet to be finished restaurant. Trade fairs I've done, we'd have to pay in advance for a booth.
I don't think this an appropriate analogy. Those chefs have had great restaurants already. Has Carter ever hosted a week-long retreat? How does being good at forging knives make someone a good event host? Training apprentices who know they're signing up for a master-student relationship under a strong personality (and probably have some blacksmithing experience) is very different from managing the expectations of the type of people willing to pay 10K for this retreat. Apples and oranges.

And that's just the knife making, not to mention the rest of this ad hoc ninja academy...

I don't think this an appropriate analogy. Those chefs have had great restaurants already. Has Carter ever hosted a week-long retreat? How does being good at forging knives make someone a good event host? Training apprentices who know they're signing up for a master-student relationship under a strong personality (and probably have some blacksmithing experience) is very different from managing the expectations of the type of people willing to pay 10K for this retreat. Apples and oranges.

And that's just the knife making, not to mention the rest of this ad hoc ninja academy...

Don't much about him, but I respect his ambition.

It's like the line from 'Field of Dreams'—"If You Build It, They Will Come."

I launched a business without knowing much about all that was involves, just gotta go for it. Have also given 5-day workshops without having done it before—not difficult if organized and willing to do the work involved. Hosting an event is not that hard to do.

During these covid times, many are just getting creative on bringing in extra income.

I keep hearing people in my circles say things like "I can't afford it but you know there are people in NYC that have more money than brains that will probably sign up!" My question is are there really a deep pool of rich people looking for a chance to spend $10,000 on spending a week with Murray? I tend to think some people in the knife business over estimate the more money than brains angle-with maybe the exception of Kramer stuff.

Back