Carter's pricing

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Andrew H

The alleles created by mutation may be beneficial
Reaction score
Carter's pricing seems to be wildly different for some variation in size.
http://www.cartercutlery.com/japanese-knives/kitchen-cutlery/stainless-fukugozai-series
The same line of knives and shape, only one is 20mm more, and it costs an extra $120?

Also, his prices seem to different even for the same knife shape, line, and size. For example here:http://www.cartercutlery.com/japane...ery/stainless-fukugozai-riveted-handle-series
The same 5.3 sun Stainless Fukugozai Funayuki, Riveted Handle, costs $164 and $190. Does anyone know why?

I think the weight of the knife comes into play.
The heavier the knife, the more steel used hence the bigger price tag.

That 6.1 sun knife has been on the site as sold out for an age. Most likely old pricing.

Why not just ask Carter, or whomever is answering the questions there?

Weight makes sense, but $120 more for 20 more mm?
Blue is more expensive than white but both those knives are blue.
Has that knife been sold out forever?
Glasseye: Typically this forum has speedy response times (note the 4 responses in 13 minutes).

Glasseye: Typically this forum has speedy response times (note the 4 responses in 13 minutes).
I didn't mean to say anything against this forums and/or it's members, just that perhaps Carter himself could give an exact answer to the question about his pricing.

I didn't mean to say anything against this forums and/or it's members, just that perhaps Carter himself could give an exact answer to the question about his pricing.

Of course not. Also Jason often answers for Murray here.

I seem to remember reading that there is a big price jump for any knife over 6.5 sun (~200m) because he doesn't make that many of those. Murray works in batches, making a bunch of similar knives all at once. The smaller ones he can make a large batch of and sell the extras easily on his website. The larger knives are more by request only, so they have a higher premium. So the price difference between a 195mm knife and a 210mm one will seem huge, but the gap between a 210 and a 240 won't be so bad.

Back