Carving Cooked Bone-In Meat?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you're carving in the kitchen, take a minute and de-bone then slice away. If you're doing it in front of family or group, slice as usual, knowing where the bones are and be gentle. The knife will slice lightly against/across bone without undue consequence. Know that it's not a hatchet.

How are you trying to cut it? If you're just looking to break things down without going through bone, most non-laser petties would work fine. Honesukis too. If you were doing a whole bunch in volume, something like the Munetoshi butcher or slicer would be a great choice. Knowing what you're doing is more important than the knife.
If you're trying to hack through bones, a beater mid-heavy Chinese cleaver would do the job just fine. For portioning out bone-in spatchcocked grilled chicken, I will use my Tojiro DP western deba. But I almost never cut cooked anything on the bone (except ribs). I take the bones out first, roast them, and turn them into a sauce.

If you're carving in the kitchen, take a minute and de-bone then slice away. If you're doing it in front of family or group, slice as usual, knowing where the bones are and be gentle. The knife will slice lightly against/across bone without undue consequence. Know that it's not a hatchet.

Yeah, I'm pretty good at completing it but for years I've been using a couple different German knives for the task and considering moving to Japanese knives.

I'm roasting a chicken for dinner later tonight so I think I might try my honesuki.

How are you trying to cut it? If you're just looking to break things down without going through bone, most non-laser petties would work fine. Honesukis too. If you were doing a whole bunch in volume, something like the Munetoshi butcher or slicer would be a great choice. Knowing what you're doing is more important than the knife.
If you're trying to hack through bones, a beater mid-heavy Chinese cleaver would do the job just fine. For portioning out bone-in spatchcocked grilled chicken, I will use my Tojiro DP western deba. But I almost never cut cooked anything on the bone (except ribs). I take the bones out first, roast them, and turn them into a sauce.

Just the former. Basically the same as I would when I break down a raw bird for example but in this case it will be hot. :p I'm trying to keep my "main users" out on the primary rack and am trying to not have to dig out a certain knife for a certain task type thing any more than I have to. The honesuki will be first up. :)

No cleaver for me. I don't like them. Turkeys and large hams are the 2 things I really need to slice with bones. I use a Wusthof 9-inch carving knife and fork.

Last edited:
Back