Cast Iron Cookware

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
you couldn't get me to own that nickel plated cast iron stuff.

$130 seems steep when I can get a lodge for $23 on amazon.

:no: You had to get me to go on ebay today - Argggh - Had to pull the trigger on a Wagner #12 that I have been wanting. I love what this site does to my wallet! :slaphead:

:no: You had to get me to go on ebay today - Argggh - Had to pull the trigger on a Wagner #12 that I have been wanting. I love what this site does to my wallet! :slaphead:

That's awesome. Should I just search for Wagner?

That's awesome. Should I just search for Wagner?

Wagner is also very high quality and will go at about half the price on e-bay. As I said before, try to make sure you get something that sits flat and doesnt' wobble, if the person doesn't state it, then ask. I usually try to get something that is seasoned and doesn't have any pitting unless I plan on putting work into removing the seasoning and reseasoning. I prefer to look for someone with a random sale vs a dealer. It's funny, I was bidding on one pretty cheap and there was another one that was 20 times better that was about $30 higher and the crappier one ended up going for more than the better one that I got. Just a crapshoot on e-bay. I really like Piqueware also.

Good luck.

Enameled has a ceramic coating on the outside and in most cases the inside of the pan. Main difference is the asthetics. Secondary is that some people do not want to cook acidic foods in cast iron because the acid can leach / eat away the seasoning of the pan. I have never run into that with our well seasoned pans and have cooked a lot of stews up north with no flavor / damage to the pan, but I will not store these foods in the pan after cooking. The enamel allows you to utilize the heat retention of CI without worrying about that. If I am making a stew or something with a lot of tomatoes, I generally use the enameled just because I can store it in the fridge without transferring it. Downside is I do not like to sear stuff in the enameled pans because they are a PITA to clean up and also you have to use non-metal spatulas/spoons to not damage the enamel where cast iron is actually better to use metal spatulas.

I don't know... I'd still always use wooden spoons and silicon/plastic spatula's. There is nothing worse than cutting a gouge in your seasoning. Have to remove it all and start over.

I don't know... I'd still always use wooden spoons and silicon/plastic spatula's. There is nothing worse than cutting a gouge in your seasoning. Have to remove it all and start over.

You dont have to remove it all... you just dry it and wipe it down with oil. New seasoning will develope on any damaged spot in time or you can force it by rubbing oil on the pan and heating it. Seasoning is amazingly self reparing.

This is probably the best resource I found on cast iron. I really agree with the majority of what she says about usage and maintenance of cast iron and is where I learned about the concept of metal cookware / spatulas to even out and maintain the seasoning.

http://www.richsoil.com/cast-iron.jsp

I use a metal spatula on my Griswold all the time, and I can not imagine damaging to seasoning with it! Seasoning does not just sit on the surface of cast iron, it is impregnated into the metal.

I got my lodge around valentines day and I love it, can't remember if itsa a 10 or 12, but I do love it. Got a grill pan of the same size, but I havn't used it much, but I would like to get a 6 incher for doing pancakes and eggs.
Yeah now I can make myself a damascus spatula to use on my pan :viking:
Del

This is probably the best resource I found on cast iron. I really agree with the majority of what she says about usage and maintenance of cast iron and is where I learned about the concept of metal cookware / spatulas to even out and maintain the seasoning.

http://www.richsoil.com/cast-iron.jsp

Just gave that a read, good stuff. On the Wagners, what do the numbers mean? Is it the size of the skillet? I'm looking for something that's 12 inches.

How do you guys feel about the lodge signature series?

How do you guys feel about the lodge signature series?

I don't like it. I want all cast. But to each their own. I haven't seen the stuff in person but I would suspect this Signature line is like their enameled line, imported and re-badged with their name.

-AJ

I've been doing a lot of reading about CI and ran across the signature series. Unfortunately it still has the rough bottom. Reviews are mixed on sanding down the bottom, everyone seems to praise the griswold or Wagner. I width there was a new pan I could buy that was as good as the old stuff.

The rough bottom doesn't effect cooking performance for me. I have both wagner and lodge.

I would not let that stop you from buying a new Lodge. Hit up some flea markets. People are always unloading cast iron pans. And remember it's just a cheap hunk of iron, not a $300 knife. You have little to lose throwing $20-$30 buks at a cst iron pan even if you don't love it or it has some flaws. Throw it away an get another one.
-AJ

hey there,

well, if was not sure about what to buy and what not to buy ..i head over to amazon and reverse engineer what people are already buying and make my decision..

ok , let me explain..

when you ideally go to amazon, you need to type in the product that you want to buy...in your case, cast iron cookware.. :)
look around for reviews from other people...if the product has more than 4 stars then it is an ideal product...since getting a 4 star rating is quite hard these days.

i hope you find this helpful..you can also let me know if you have any questions.. .

thx

So I dug out our camping skillet and it's a Lodge 12 inch. It has some rust on it. I don't have a self cleaning oven, can I just scrub it with a steel wool and re-season it?

So I dug out our camping skillet and it's a Lodge 12 inch. It has some rust on it. I don't have a self cleaning oven, can I just scrub it with a steel wool and re-season it?

I would.

If it is just a little rust, otherwise you can use ovencleaner in a bag to remove seasoning and rust also.

You can also use steel wool and barkeepers friend on the spot then reseason.

I took some oil and salt to it and then cleaned it with a scotchbrite pad and soapy water. Dried it on the stovetop until it smoked a little then rubbed it with some oil and turned off the heat.

I'm thinking next i will rub it with another light coat of oil then bake it for an hour at 400. I'll post some pics afterwards to see what you guys think. I just want to make sure it will be safe to use before I try to cook anything in it.

Back