Cast Iron Cookware

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hah! It's already safe to use :) . My favorite way to season a pan is to grease it down, put it upside down on my gas grill with all 4 burners going full blast for half an hour or so or until I remember I left it out there and then turn the grill off and let the pan cool off inside the closed grill. I pull it out the next day good to go.

-AJ

So I went ahead and cooked in it before putting it into the oven. Made tilapia with onion and yellow squash. I felt like some of the squash had a metallic taste, however the fish and onions were fine. The fish stuck some, but nothing major; cleanup was easy too.

I oiled it down and have it in the oven now. Will the trip in the oven take care of the metallic taste?

With proper seasoning cast iron pans become less reactive to acidic foods and transfer less iron.

Here it is, seems like it is a bit blotchy.
1R9wX.jpg

The more you cook with it, the better it will get. Try to eat bacon every day. :D

-AJ

I have found lard to be best for seasoning cast iron. Run it through several heating and cooling cycles continually rubbing it down with lard. when it looks dry, not sticky put more on.

The more you cook with it, the better it will get. Try to eat bacon every day. :D

-AJ

Good enough reason to me to cook bacon and eggs tomorrow for breakfast. :hungry:

People really do over think the seasoning. Just cook with it a bunch and all will be well.

So I have been using the pan everyday and it is coming along.
Hztwe.jpg

One thing I am noticing, is that there is some oily sut like material on the pan, even after washing. Is that normal?

So I have been using the pan everyday and it is coming along.
Hztwe.jpg

One thing I am noticing, is that there is some oily sut like material on the pan, even after washing. Is that normal?

Looks better, and yes that's how I like mine.

Perfectly normal, keep it nice and oily. Pretty soon youll have an indestructable patina.

It sounds normal. If you think it is grime buildup (ie bacon sugars) - use some salt and scrub down the pan with a paper towel a couple of times until the salt stays clean. If it is a buildup like that, that can cause sticking when you cook. By the way, the Wagner #12 came in today and looks fantastic, nice light seasoning build-up that I will definitely build-up.

It sounds normal. If you think it is grime buildup (ie bacon sugars) - use some salt and scrub down the pan with a paper towel a couple of times until the salt stays clean. If it is a buildup like that, that can cause sticking when you cook. By the way, the Wagner #12 came in today and looks fantastic, nice light seasoning build-up that I will definitely build-up.

Pictures? :D

Something that I am noticing is that my pan has a wicked hot spot on my gas stove, even if I omlow and slow. After more reading I've found this to be a common issue with CI. How do you guys get around it? I'm considering preheating in the oven, although I'm not sure what temp to use.

I made a diffuser out of steel plate that is the size of the burner, but I only use it when I want a very low simmer. My Viking range has pretty large diameter burners, though.

I've done some more reading and I guess defusers are a possible solution. Have you heard of Kuhn Rikon by chance? I'm looking into one of there products but it's 35$.

I think the seasoning is coming along nicely.
RiPYM.jpg

UNUMk.jpg

Wait. OT back-track: Falk "Try Me" pan? WANT.

Not quite sure what you meant by your post or who you were referencing. I did get a falk "try me"pan recently. I am very happy with it.

What are you guys talking about? :scratchhead:

Not quite sure what you meant by your post or who you were referencing. I did get a falk "try me"pan recently. I am very happy with it.

Didn't mean anything specific, or on-topic. Saw the Falk "Try-Me" pan mention, and exclaimed "WANT." Didn't think I needed to be more clear. :)

Didn't mean anything specific, or on-topic. Saw the Falk "Try-Me" pan mention, and exclaimed "WANT." Didn't think I needed to be more clear. :)
It was a good deal. Just got it for my birthday. Really enjoy it. Hope you get one:biggrin:

I've noticed with cast iron that it has a wicked hot spot. Do you guys ever preheat a skillet in the oven? If so, what temp do you use?

It does have a hot spot and you are correct, cast iron really shines in the oven. I'm not sure what temp preheating a pan to and then using it on the stove would be. If I were to just guess I would guess around 330. Before you do that, even with the hot spot, try cooking at a lower stove top setting. My experience is that cooking with cast iron you need a much lower stove top setting than you would initially think.

-AJ

Unfortunately my home range has a Ceran (glass) cooking surface, and very few cast iron pans work on them. I have two 9" "crêpe" pans but only one is smooth enough to use... and it's the thinner/lighter/cheaper of the two. I have now relegated the Lodge to use on my gas grill.

It does have a hot spot and you are correct, cast iron really shines in the oven. I'm not sure what temp preheating a pan to and then using it on the stove would be. If I were to just guess I would guess around 330. Before you do that, even with the hot spot, try cooking at a lower stove top setting. My experience is that cooking with cast iron you need a much lower stove top setting than you would initially think.

-AJ

Definitely true for me. I have to keep my vintage Wagner at a lower temp than even my Le Creuset enameled cast iron.

Back