Cast Iron Kinfe

Discussion in 'The Kitchen Knife' started by andryuxa1985, Sep 30, 2013.

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums by donating:

1. Sep 30, 2013 #1

andryuxa1985

andryuxa1985

andryuxa1985

2. Sep 30, 2013 #2

Frater_Decus

Frater_Decus

Frater_Decus

The images in the description say "Material: Cast Iron Steel," so I'm not really sure what's going on with that.

3. Sep 30, 2013 #3
  4. Sep 30, 2013 #4

Noodle Soup

Noodle Soup

Noodle Soup

I have one. Not a bad knife for the price but I think something is lost in the translation. Far as I know, no knives are made from real cast iron.

5. Sep 30, 2013 #5

harlock0083

harlock0083

harlock0083

Supporting Member

Well if its cast iron, it definitely has a super high carbon content. I'd probably get one to hack through bone I guess. Also I thought ebay links were not allowed......

6. Sep 30, 2013 #6

CrisAnderson27

CrisAnderson27

CrisAnderson27

A knife made entirely of cast iron would be pretty much non-functional at any realistic level. Unless I'm missing something, anyway.

7. Sep 30, 2013 #7

Noodle Soup

Noodle Soup

Noodle Soup

Mine is definitely not a bone chopper. The edge is way too thin for that. I'm guessing they kind of the Korean version of an Old Hickory.

8. Sep 30, 2013 #8

MowgFace

MowgFace

MowgFace

If im not mistaken, Ebay links are allowed if the item has a "Buy it now" price. Bid only items are a no go.

Mowgs

9. Oct 1, 2013 #9

MikeHL

MikeHL

MikeHL

10. Oct 1, 2013 #10

franzb69

franzb69

franzb69

i have one of these to play around with. it can handle chicken bones and thinner pork bones without a problem. i don't whack on it though, i use a rubber mallet on the spine of the knife to cut through the bone. for that stuff it's fine. and it's all i use it for. it's dirt cheap, even if it does chip, which it hasn't. i'd be okay with it breaking. lol.

not sure what it's really made out of. but it's pretty tough stuff. it can't handle sharpening beyond 1k. which is fine for what i use it for. really reactive too.

11. Oct 1, 2013 #11

EdipisReks

EdipisReks

EdipisReks

mine easily takes a hair splitting edge on a Gesshin 8k followed by a strop, and it's not terribly reactive even after taking the lacquer off. I don't actually use it that way, I put on a 320 edge and whack chickens. Probably different materials involved, which makes comparison difficult.

12. Oct 1, 2013 #12

Lucretia

Lucretia

Lucretia

FYI, a short discussion of cast iron vs steel from the Iron Founder's Society "Iron Castings Handbook".

"The term, cast iron, designates an entire family of metals with a wide variety of properties. It is a generic term like the word, steel, which also designates a family of metals. Steels and cast irons are primarily iron that is alloyed with carbon, but steels always contain less than two percent carbon and usually less than one while all cast irons contain more than two percent of carbon. Cast irons must also contain appreciable silicon, usually from one to three percent. These differences are not arbitrary, buy have a metallurgical basis and effect the differences in the useful properties of these two families of ferrous alloys.

The high carbon content and the silicon in cast irons make them excellent casting alloys. They are easily melted, are very fluid in the liquid state, and do not form difficult surface films when poured. Irons also solidify with nominal shrinkage and contraction problems. But their high carbon content precludes the practicality of forming cast irons in the solid state as is done with wrought steel."

13. Oct 1, 2013 #13

Justin0505

Justin0505

Justin0505

Weren't the old Beatty cleavers cast?
    It seem like before automated forging and machining where everywhere, casting was a relatively low tech and quick way to form metal into rough shapes.

I've seen a refurbed Beatty and own a Wagner pan and I must say that the casting on both was really nicely done -like nothing I've seen from our erra. When we thinking "cast iron" these days I think we all picture the really crude and void-riddled cheap lodge pans.

14. Oct 1, 2013 #14

franzb69

franzb69

franzb69

agreed!

15. Oct 6, 2013 #15

Noodle Soup

Noodle Soup

Noodle Soup

I was at the NorthWest Knife Collector's show in Kelso Washington today walking the tables when I spotted something I had been looking for, the curved blade knife from the Korean soap link here. The seller asked if I knew what it was and I told him yes a Korean kitchen knife. He was surprised I knew but told me a friend had brought it back from a trip there. Looks like somebody must have thought it was a chicken bone chopper, several dings in the edge but I can sharpen them out. Should be a good meat slicer after that.

16. Oct 11, 2013 #16

sachem allison

sachem allison

sachem allison

Supporting Member

steel core with cast iron sides. very common laminate construction on asian knives. It could also be cast steel and what you are reading is a poor translation.

Draft saved Draft deleted