• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Kitchen Knife Forums and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

SOLD Catcheside Custom Integral Western Damascus Koa 225mm

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Selling a beautiful Catcheside damascus integral western with Koa handle. I have two of these from Will and since I decided to purchase a new custom bedroom setup, I'm going to sell one to help fund a portion of that purchase though I suspect I'll be sad to see this go.

I just got the knife back from Andrew (@Forty Ounce) who did his magic on the blade and it is unused since then so like new condition but better with his polish and etch and crazy thin behind the edge. Specs are:

SC125 core w/special nickel damascus claddingIntegral western handle of Koa, pinned271 grams weight55mm at the heel224mm blade length370mm OAL

Asking $1,600 for the knife delivered anywhere (I'll pay shipping). Pictures below, ping me with questions. Thanks for looking.
IMG_3511.jpg
IMG_3512.jpg
IMG_3513.jpg
IMG_3515.jpg
IMG_3516.jpg
IMG_3517.jpg
IMG_3518.jpg
IMG_3519.jpg

Does the nickel cladding Damascus prevent a patina from forming ?

Does the nickel cladding Damascus prevent a patina from forming ?
Thanks for the question. I would say that it inhibits it but doesn't prevent it as you might guess. It will slowly (very slowly) patina in my experience and become more like a rainbow patina between nickel layers. It's quite attractive in its full glory!

Can you tell me about the cutting performance?

Can you tell me about the cutting performance?
Sure can. If you have specific knives for me to compare against (as benchmarks) fire away; I've tried 200 or so knives so have a pretty good point of reference. I'd say cutting ability on this is within top 7 or maybe top 5 overall I've ever used. It's a balance, right? It is very thin behind the edge, with a very nice convexity to it especially after Andrew's tune up, and has a nice mid-height bevel on it. Will forged a really exceptional taper from tang to tip and also from spine to edge - so I think that is what makes this one pretty special. It doesn't wedge much except in really thick, cold carrots or the like. It literally drops through most other stuff. It has excellent food release, in line with knives that don't cut nearly as well due to their thickness just behind the edge or due to a shinogi where after the primary bevel the knives becomes flat; this tapers all the way, creating a more subtle cutting experience. The cladding helps food that does stick peel off really easily. No suction, ever, due to the forge finish and damascus textured layers.
Don't know if this is helpful - just my take on it.

Back