Catcheside Cutlery - Knives available.

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Some lovely work with the 'high end' stuff Will, but really, really loving the forged geometry knives. Think I need another one of yours at some point, a slightly smaller version of the trusty 'kitchen sword' with a bit more heft to it at the spine.

Thanks my friend, need another get together, maybe some kind of knife lovin in the new year :)

Some lovely work with the 'high end' stuff Will, but really, really loving the forged geometry knives. Think I need another one of yours at some point, a slightly smaller version of the trusty 'kitchen sword' with a bit more heft to it at the spine.

This one is going away and will remerge as a full on carving set with one of my beautiful forged carving forks in iron and nickel in a Box made by Bo.... mmmmm :)

Hello All and a happy New Year to you, I have a couple of new things in store today, some very hansom Steaks Knives, Integral design with stacked handles in some gorgeous wood, capped off with a threaded nickel endcap. :)

In aid of purchasing a fresh batch of materials I am offering the amazing composite slicer for the price of mosaic damascus, I did have plans to make a fork to go with it as a carving set but needs must:) A fork and box can be arranged to go with the knife if it is desired.

Thanks All

Heres the link

http://www.catchesidecutlery.com/store/c1/arts

Awesome Will! i would by one of them instantly, but i allready got one from you (superb performer btw.....), and i am planning an stupid expensive trip to Iceland... :(....

Greets Sebastian.

Honyaki Integral in sc125 was completely forged to shape, here it is....no grinding at all....the bolster was "upset" to get 15mm thickness from the 8mm thick material. Its quite a thing!!!

"upset" for the bolster...

Finished work...

Rivets are actually riveted, super strong construction with the ironwood, one of the most stable robust woods on the planet, the best choice for full tang.

Stunning hamon on this one, like clouds in the mountains....

Purchase here http://www.catchesidecutlery.com/store/p96/Integral_Honyaki_,Full_tang_Gyuto-__255mm.html

Thanks kind sirs, Wa is sold, Integral still available, bargain for what it is.....Another littler Wa honyaki will be up friday as well as a mystery Forged Geometry SHG, (super high grade) version, if you follow my intstagram you will have been getting the odd hint about what that might entail...... 3 forged geometry commissions on line for completion this week too, definitely one of my more productive weeks :)

Thank you kind sirs :)

Heres a little teaser shot of one of the knives coming up tomorrow....... Catcheside Forged Geometry SHG sc145/nickel/mild steel

Killer stuff Will. That integral is the real deal. Look forward to seeing the last one finished.

wow is absolutely right! Are the honyakis water quenched?

Thanks Guys, the steel, sc125 a small batch steel made by Achim Wirtz is designed to be oil quenched with its 0.5% of manganese. Its quenched in a very thin fast oil, Parks 50, and it has a very versatile range of hardening to achieve different results.
I tried it with an interrupted water quench, water/oil when I first used the steel but had to leave the work way oversize on the edge to avoid tinks, I broke a good few pieces but had some nice hamon in successful pieces.
But it works much better in fast oil, the piece can be forged then ground much closer to size and there is a much larger temperature window to play with hamon activity and the results on the edge.
My aims are not for toughness contrary to western ideology. I aim to put all the extra carbon over 0.8% into lovely glassy hard cementite for long lasting edges that will not distort on a very thin edge. So with barely a flash temper this steel is stable enough, will flex without chipping but has that glassy feel on edge that can not distort. It would microchip if it contacts firmly something hard like grit in food though, but chips tiny, very quick to rectify.. its as you would expect true honyaki to be at 65/66hrc. This of course only makes sense on very thin edges of kitchen knives, if you were to make a hunter from the steel with a thicker edge, it would behave differently, would be too easy to chip badly over a thicker section, you can also use this steel with a rather high temperature double temper and achieve and incredibly tough 64hrc. Im planning to do some utility in the steel utilising this range. Its very versatile. Just goes to show you can have two similar hardness figures with very different results on the edge depending entirely on the makers aims for the edge qualities in a given type of workpiece. And that goes for water or oil quenched pieces.

Will, that integral honyaki is fantastic. I also very much appreciate your experience with the steel. Sounds really cool.

That is great information Will, thank you for sharing...
A naive question, how different the knife would perform if instead of the softer spine, you were heat treating the whole blade to the "glassy" 65-66 HRC?
Would it feel that you are cutting with a piece of glass or onyx, every time the blade hits the cutting board, especially while vigorous chopping?
I usually push or/and draw cut so blade road, thickness and geometry play more important role than hardness. On the other hand, my carbon knives (Aogami super), heat treated to 63-65 HRC can support a shallower angle 8-10 dps vs. a W#2 laser monosteel hardened at 61 HRC

GroC, was referring to edge characteristics on a thin edge, you won't feel any difference in feel over a piece differentially hardened over fully hardened until the point where you either flex it to destruction or "twat" it firmly on a hard surface where upon it will likely shatter across the weakest point, the tang/choil. Where the steel is thickest and narrowest.

In my experience (only hobbyist blacksmith) with the SC125 and different hardness (i own one of WillC `s masterpieces) i can confirm that very high hardness results in a chiped edge while (like we see on traditional japanese ones) and just a rolling of the edge, when we tread them in the wrong way....

So my WillC knife is at HRC65, and it chips when i cut across a piece of metal (covered in my board, solved that problem now, as i don`t know about it), as my handmade SC125 Honyakis did, at about the same hardness.

I made a little testknife (not actually called a knife just a test edge) with higher annealing (to under HRC65, like 64, 63 and so on.) and the blade just bents away......

In my opinion this is a very good steel, and WillC knows how to treat it.

Greets Sebastian.

Thanks Sebastian, its very satisfying when people come back for more and more knives after they have tried my work, your a gent :)

Honyaki Petty and Catcheside Forged SHG just uploaded to my shop, and if your on my mailing list you can get a discount code for the integral and a forged geometry line knife...until monday. Cheers
www.catchesidecutlery.com

Back