Catcheside Cutlery - Picture Gallery

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
First ever Catcheside Fillet! Don't know why Ive not made one before, as its the first I made it a bit special, will have to make one in damascus now! Let me know what your think :)

Blade is 200mm

Thanks Man! I didn't really examine too carefully any fillet examples in particular, what I had in mind was something classic western boner with clear Japanese influence, I love the simple Japanese boning knife aesthetic for example. Its quite long though 200mm....

I've eye humped this filet since I opened the email. Great work man. If I didn't already have a filet I would've jumped all over this one. Really liking your take on the western handle

Thanks Marc, I remember doing my first western I went a bit mad and made it fully removable and with the colour case hardened damascus! I cast more than a glancing eye over a few Rader pieces, hard not to, to my eye he makes far and away the finest looking westerns! you can see the influence in the flared scoops underneath, but in case of influence I try not to look too closely and followed my own solutions and direction, sometimes with something unfamiliar you just need a starting point!

This one was interesting as the shape of the bolster especially the scoop into the guard made a special influence on the shape there. Was quite an enjoyable process though and I'm keen to do one in damascus soon from which you will not be able to resist temptation , muhaha:)

Thanks Marc, I remember doing my first western I went a bit mad and made it fully removable and with the colour case hardened damascus! I cast more than a glancing eye over a few Rader pieces, hard not to, to my eye he makes far and away the finest looking westerns! you can see the influence in the flared scoops underneath, but in case of influence I try not to look too closely and followed my own solutions and direction, sometimes with something unfamiliar you just need a starting point!

This one was interesting as the shape of the bolster especially the scoop into the guard made a special influence on the shape there. Was quite an enjoyable process though and I'm keen to do one in damascus soon from which you will not be able to resist temptation , muhaha:)

Your westerns are phenomenal looking. Don't think I've seen a western gyuto from you. Any reason for this or maybe I just missed one you have made?

Would you do a conversion to western on one of your blades?

Hello there, yes I think thats something I would do, its not always possible to remove the plain wood handles without destroying it however, but then you would have a nice new western handle to go on..........

I've only really done westerns on my higher end work thus far but have developed a system for making them which would be suitable on simpler work....

This was a pair of which I'm particularly proud, western Composites pair...

Completely and seamlessly removable too, by removing the brass screw hidden in the but, I keep meaning to make a boxed set of a knife with both western and wa handles with this system, I believe that would be a first;)

Will that mechanism on your western handles is insanely cool....sent you a mail...hahahah

I'm loving these Will. Please keep these in mind.

Those removable Western handles are absolutely amazing!
I'll apologize for my ignorance as I'm not totally sure why I'd want to remove a handle other than to create an "interchangeable" handle option (which I've yet to see before in my limited experience) or for maintenance I suppose? However, now that I'm thinking of it, the ability to change out handles is mind blowing to me. The very concept of having a favorite blade that I could switch handles on would make it even more universal, I'm my mind at least.

I really like the take down feature.
Even if not for switching handles, it is a good option for thorough cleanup of the knife.

I saw this on FB. Looks like someone may have been a "troubled youth".
12548858_1256475001034531_2915176850918912341_n.jpg

Ha ha thanks for that Mark, more like befuddled youth ;) That was my crusty the clown haircut, was originally green, and i perfected the crusty laugh .... but after a couple of weeks turned into that yellow mop, Im mostly missing that bit of hair in the middle now :)

The removable handles came about when I was working out how to do the blued damascus bolster, fit up has to be perfect, so the pieces could be polished, blued before fixing in place. I came up with various jigs to work on parts and machined fittings to make the tang removable from the handle. So not something I could ever do efficiently I don't think on simple knives. But it does make fully servicing the blade much easier, blade and bolsters could be worked on and re-etched very easily. Its mostly just because though, to add that extra bit of thought and detail:)

Will,
Will you be taking any commissions this year for damascus blades with removable handles, or do we just need to keep following your threads and emails and wait for them to come up?

I don't take commissions.
Would be a high end feature, for special damascus builds, which you would be covered here in WIP. and highlighted on my website and mailing list. There will be opportunity to buy either at the blade stage in damascus with custom handle options or as the finished article if I have a specific plan.
More exciting, involving and fair than a 5 year wait I think:biggrin:

In further elaboration to your question. I will be taking occasional commissions on materials when they are available. For example when a batch of materials is finished I will complete an example, sale piece and take either a full commission or complete a blade and do a custom handle from the rest of the material. To me that keeps everyone happy. If your on my mailing list you won't miss anything, in future commission spots will be advertised as a sale piece would on my website. Simples :)

Here are few damascussy shots of some recent pieces.....

Feather damascus...

And the Nakiri, my latest in my recent composite explorations..

Close

Closer

Closer still

Rather close

Thanks All

Back