Catcheside Cutlery - Works in progress.

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Man do I love your wip's. Amazing work. Worth scrolling back some.

Thanks you two :)

Heres some more random progress...

Composite piece in the works...

Integrals

Yep your right there there bolster has nearly as many different parts as the blade, I can always rely on myself for a decent conversation.

Working on some sale pieces the last few days, monos with the new HT and a forged one in the very special iron clad.

Heat cycling.

Heat treated a few to grind over the weekend. The Jersey Canon iron one, really deep profile, due to forging bevels, very softly hollow, then a wide bevel and leave the forge finish as it came out so nice and geometry spot on. Test cutting went very very nicely :) Core is 1.2442 @ 65hrc

This one to grind up tomorrow, a fillet, all forged thus far including bevels giving it its shape, thickish at the handle with some wicked taper, will have flex for the last half of the blade. Will have a nice western amboyna handle with a soldered nickel guard:)

Sneaky peak at these two contrasting pieces, ready to etch logo and continue finishing tomorrow.

And a rough grind on the boner....

Thanks for looking :)

Will

Will, both look outstanding, what would you call the finish on the other (non-integral) knife? Looks almost like nashiji (?) or pear finish.

Cheers

Thanks all got these all finished this morning, will get some pics tomorrow showing the details.

The Gyuto is forge finish I just like to remove the scale/oxide and polish it up a bit to show the metal. Very proud of this one as the geometry of the knife is entirely forged right down to the ground bevel. Distal taper, and softly hollow forged bevels all the way to the bevel. Less grind but lots more forging, I like forging :)

Wow, just wow! As the others I love the integral bolster!!!

Thanks all for comments, it keeps me going, :)

And I don't need much encouragement though. I've been on finishing the grind on the 12 bar composite basket weave twist piece and getting the hand finish started so its at the same point as the three Feather damascus pieces, all four of which I will be handling next week....exciting times :)

Here are the blades laid out with some of the handle materials, some will have sterling silver in the handles some copper, together with damascus. The end one is going to be sterling silver/ Musk ox/and the nicest piece of snakewood I have ever seen.....

All spoken for.....

Carving set in progress today, waiting on some of Marks lovely Desert ironwood for the handles :)

Thanks Mike...She's a stripe one isn't she? Twisted nickel between 15n20 and good old 1080, all forged to shape before finishing. Little bit of drop point on the carver for a change, the idea being it won't catch the tip as easily working against a bone, I like the look, a touch of the bowie?

Thanks Mike...She's a stripe one isn't she? Twisted nickel between 15n20 and good old 1080, all forged to shape before finishing. Little bit of drop point on the carver for a change, the idea being it won't catch the tip as easily working against a bone, I like the look, a touch of the bowie?

Definitely loving the twisted carving fork and the shape of the slicer. Will this be going to the store or is it for a customer?

It is one of the commissions from the simple damascus material.....customs jobs offered a couple of months back. ;)

Thanks all, heres what I've been working on recently...

Some of the finished Carving set...

And the finished Honyaki Pair, only the final polishing to go, this starts from the edge up, with natural stones using the grit to blend into the hamon and further bring out some details, love this way of doing things and ultimately provides a very practical platform for future maintenance. The end caps on the handle are basket weave damascus, for a little extra detail. Deep etched on the ends only at the moment. These will be up for public sale tomorrow and will be coming to Denmark with me for further polishing and demonstration.

Back