Catcheside Cutlery - Works in progress.

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
2hp works ok for 36 grit, over 2 inches but it works even better over a 1" belt, to give you the extra torque to get the pressure into the cut. Deeper cut takes more pressure, torque/hp and speed...For years I did this running a 1" belt on a 2hp machine instead of a 2"....... it helps

My friend Owen has a giant grinder set up for roughing out sword bevels, something like a 6m belt with 6hp at some rate of knots, for course belts it helps to have the torque there so you can properly lean into the course grit to make it bite deeply and cut as designed, the belt actually cuts relatively cooler and lasts longer like this too...... Owen has a huge wooden free platen that holds the sword, and he can lean he whole weight on it, looks like he is riding a wooden motorbike with a sword handlebar. That machine is strictly out of bounds to students for health and safety reasons ;)

Some more heat treat today while handle making......tried to get all arty and capture the travel of the blade to the quench tank with a long exposure, nearly worked :)

Some Spark tests, Catchyblue, reddish short sparklers typical of a tungsten based carbon steel.

Sc125 white fireworks - lots of carbon, little alloy.

And a grain comparison, both just cut from the bar, factory anneal, and quenched.
Sc125 big one left, Catchyblue small right, both are very fine, Catchyblue is notably more so in direct comparison, will be the smidge of vanadium I expect.

Why Catchyblue instead of Catcheblue?

Also, please keep us posted on the stainless! I'm about done with iron clad (sick of my Tanaka turning brown if I hold it while thinking about an onion), so sad I missed the last of your monosteels. :(

Thanks Guys, ha ha yep sorry for lack of updates, If your on my mailing list you will know Ive been working on a new site just for the Forgies and their maintenance.
www.chefknifeuk.com

You will find my latest stock there, the site shares the store for my main site.

Stainless didn't work out the first time, forging went perfect but too much carbon loss I think, due to the higher temperatures involves and amount of forge time. Huge shame and loss in what I already forged, but I have some pure nickel to use with the next ones, sometime in the future. Meantime the fantastic carbon ones are up, and very very nice cutters :) I love the new steel.

Been really poorly with some kind of digestive infection or possible Ulcer the past week, which has made things difficult, but antibiotics are working....... But I got two more little forged Petty done to add to the store tomorrow, one carbon san maiPetty and one stainless san mai Wife Knife ;)

Theres a 230mm Gyuto going up tomorrow as well.

And I will have a little work in progress for you coming up to xmas on these steak knives, they are forged integrals from silver steel, the will be a tapped through tang handle design allowing me to do some stacked handles, using up some funky stab wood offcuts by making discs up for the handle stacking. Looking forward to that, sounds fun?

What you see here is 100% forged, no grinding whatsoever other than briefly running a file over the tennon shoulder. Just need to thread the last part of the tang before ht. :)

Ha ha, not these......though some integral sc125 is on the cards in the new year. The steak knives are forged from silver steel round bars, it is about 1.1C a little manganese, chromium and vanadium, aggressive medium toothy, will be great for little steakies.

Have you tried the sc125 Bryan? Its a bit more problematic to water quench i think than the sc145 but i've been managing water quench/hamon by going into water briefly then into oil. Fast oil would be easier to get right.

yes, you have enough Mn for (speed) oïl quenching.( or hot oïl if you don't have a real speed oïl) .
water quenching "brings" ( is it correct ? brings ? ) nothing more, even for the hamon.
if you realy want to play with water you can ( keep more than 1mm thick to the edge) , with 40°C water for 2sec and go faster as you can :D in oïl ( 130°C) for few minutes , time to chill out , after that you can go to the tempering. and after that you have a crazy blade :D ( probably in one pièce ) .

Thanks man...so just as good in oil, nice to hear.... Yep water quench has been working for me like that, but I broke a few getting the temperature and the time held in water just right and the geometry very critical, it certainly keeps you on your toes though!! Im going to import some oil that Achim recommends in the new year, the fast oil we can get here in the uk doesn't quite cut it as far as getting vivid hamon.

Catchyblue is this steel, I don't mind revealing now, really I just needed to make sure there would be an adequate supply for me to have a constant foreseeable future for the forged geometry knives, but there looks to be plenty... as well as close relatives.

Catchyblue - 1.2419.05
- carbon 1,3 %
- chromium 1,0 %
- molybdenum 0,3 %
- tungsten 1,3 %
- vanadium 0,2 %

Been really poorly with some kind of digestive infection or possible Ulcer the past week, which has made things difficult, but antibiotics are working....... But I got two more little forged Petty done to add to the store tomorrow, one carbon san maiPetty and one stainless san mai Wife Knife ;)

Theres a 230mm Gyuto going up tomorrow as well.

And I will have a little work in progress for you coming up to xmas on these steak knives, they are forged integrals from silver steel, the will be a tapped through tang handle design allowing me to do some stacked handles, using up some funky stab wood offcuts by making discs up for the handle stacking. Looking forward to that, sounds fun?

What you see here is 100% forged, no grinding whatsoever other than briefly running a file over the tennon shoulder. Just need to thread the last part of the tang before ht. :)

Beautiful work as usual! Pure skillz on them 100% forged integrals... :doublethumbsup:

Looking forward to seeing the detailed pics on your store site. Hope you feel better soon too!

Thanks Man, very much appreciated, yep on the mend now with the antibiotics :)

Back