Caught between a stone and a hard place

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stones for iron clad shirogami and aogami

• Gesshin 1K and 4K

Votes: 5 26.3%
  • Cerax 1K and 3K

Votes: 4 21.1%
  • I don’t like your options, and here’s why...

Votes: 3 15.8%
  • You’re 47. Make your own decisions.

Votes: 7 36.8%

• Total voters

BillHanna

Gotta get ready for ARM
Reaction score
I wanna get soakers. These choices seem to be the most popular. Y’all are my coin flip.

naniwa pro 800 and 2k.
ouka/cerax 3 and 8k.
uchigumori

these are the easy ones imo. pick your poison.

If you're beginning, Rika is an easy fine stone to work with.

If you want bite, you could proceed with King 1200, Shapton 1500 or Cerax #700 for your med stone. I'll admit Cerax #700 sounds a bit harsh, but it's a tremendous stone.

If you like an in-between edge, Naniwa Pro 800.

If you want finer still, SP2K.

personally, Id buy a Natsuya and an Aizu. love them as a combo.

if I weren't looking to spend up to even that level, under 1k grit Ive been mega impressed with Shapton Glass 220 and 500, maybe couple the latter with a 1k and 4k-ish grit stone. Gesshin as are good as any.

personally, Id buy a Natsuya and an Aizu. love them as a combo.

if I weren't looking to spend up to even that level, under 1k grit Ive been mega impressed with Shapton Glass 220 and 500, maybe couple the latter with a 1k and 4k-ish grit stone. Gesshin as are good as any.

From the OP original references, coarse stones are not what he’s looking for. Do you have a point with this?

From the OP original references, coarse stones are not what he’s looking for. Do you have a point with this?

suggesting a coarse stone to add to gesshin 1k and 4k is well within the purview of the OP.

also the specific combo I suggested is near as makes no difference the grits that OP wants.

go get a drink and relax or something.

suggesting a coarse stone to add to gesshin 1k and 4k is well within the purview of the OP.

also the specific combo I suggested is near as makes no difference the grits that OP wants.

go get a drink and relax or something.

Suggesting coarse stones has nothing to do with OP’s query. For one thing he might already have one, for another he didn’t include such a notion.

I’m pretty relaxed - hope you are too. I was mostly hoping in fact that you would follow up with something more in the ballpark, you seem to have seen more stones than I did so why not try at it instead of offering two Jnats like he’ll know these, and referring to coarse stones he’ll recognize but doesn’t seem to be seeking advice for atm?

Or at least expand on your favorite combo: I for one would be interested.

Suggesting coarse stones has nothing to do with OP’s query. For one thing he might already have one, for another he didn’t include such a notion.

I’m pretty relaxed - hope you are too. I was mostly hoping in fact that you would follow up with something more in the ballpark, you seem to have seen more stones than I did so why not try at it instead of offering two Jnats like he’ll know these, and referring to coarse stones he’ll recognize but doesn’t seem to be seeking advice for atm?

Or at least expand on your favorite combo: I for one would be interested.

firstly why are you lecturing me about answering the OP's question? I stuck to prompt and actually came down on the side of his poll by saying the gesshin 1k/4k combo was what Id go with, adding an extra comment about a nice third stone to go with them seems reasonable.

also if someone is looking for a 1k stone and 4k stone why not at least consider jnats that meet that criteria? and fwiw I offered two relatively inexpensive ones that are closer in price to a nice synthetic than to the higher end of that world.

if you think my posts are that off-topic, report them and let the mods sort it out. Im done with this particular line of conversation.

also if someone is looking for a 1k stone and 4k stone why not at least consider jnats that meet that criteria? and fwiw I offered two relatively inexpensive ones that are closer in price to a nice synthetic than to the higher end of that world.

If going off-road, offer some insight as to why. Still interested to hear it. My first was asking you: do you have a point with this? Previous to this, a pretty standard remark: OP didn't ask for coarse stones, and was wondering about synths.

You sure need to see where you are being offended, and where you are being asked a question for you to expand. You did - could have been more about stones, less about how pissed you are from a simple question. Won't go see the Mods. Sure that the OP will not gather anything from you voting for Ghessin with "as good as any" for a reason (hence why not Cerax which surely are less expensive too) and proposing Nats and coarse in your only follow up.

If not, then sorry. But I don't feel like I owe it to you.

From the OP's poll:

"A and B"
"C and D"
"I don't like your options, and here's why..."
"Make a decision for yourself"

Answer:

Naming stones out of the blues that aren't of the poll without an explanation.

Heading out now. Will come back if asked or pissed upon though.

Medium grit stone + tennen toishi for finishing is my choice..

I DID leave it kinda vague on purpose. I know how y’all are; the more specific, the more off the reservation the answers are.

I have a king 1/6k and a sp1.5. I like the muddy king better.
No rabbit holes for this guy, so no nats.
I’m a home cook trying to be practical, so two stones.
(I’ll worry about the coarse stone later)

Based on "I'm a home cook...." (me too), and your original post....the Gesshin 4k. You have and like your King (1k covered) and you have a SP1.5, so maybe wait on another 1k range stone. Adding the 3k seems like a lot of stones clustered in a very tight range. So Gesshin 4k.
Personally, I have. a few stones to let go of, and find myself without a 5k range so I'm probably adding the Suehiro Rika 5k

I DID leave it kinda vague on purpose. I know how y’all are; the more specific, the more off the reservation the answers are.

I change my vote to Cerax.

Bill,

What do you sharpen with now? What makes soakers your next definitive choice?

Not that I have suggestions, but it helps me compare to my own situation and then learn from the answers provided. Purely selfish and all that. :)

bill are you gonna sharpen or polish? i interpreted the question as you wanted to polish the blades.

if you're just gonna sharpen you can use basically any stone since white and blue steels are as basic as it gets.

Sorry.

G2K, G4K. For finer knives a G6k.

Not tried the G1K soaker. May have to change that. Have not found the love for the 1K side of the 1/6K combo.

Bill,

What do you sharpen with now? What makes soakers your next definitive choice?

Not that I have suggestions, but it helps me compare to my own situation and then learn from the answers provided. Purely selfish and all that. :)
I kinda don’t like the shapton. I GET it, but don’t like the feel. Tactilewise, I like the king better.

bill are you gonna sharpen or polish? i interpreted the question as you wanted to polish the blades.

if you're just gonna sharpen you can use basically any stone since white and blue steels are as basic as it gets.
Just sharpen. I’m trying to keep it simple. Wish me luck.

Sorry.

G2K, G4K. For finer knives a G6k.

Not tried the G1K soaker. May have to change that. Have not found the love for the 1K side of the 1/6K combo.
:D
no apology necessary. You swerved and said why. Good enough.

Last option, I don’t have experience with them but heard good about them all, so probably all good options. Roll a dice 😅

Latest posts

Back