CCK 2021 edition

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My 1303 had a bit of warp too. I didnt even notice until after I used it for almost a year. But the blade is so thin, I just put it on a piece of wood and bent it back. It's still not perfectly straight, but it doesnt seem to have any affect on cutting.

You're saying that the edge side is warped? How do you straighten it on a piece of wood, do you pound it with a mallet? I've never straightened an edge.

How did you treat it those handles?

Mine was dry too, I gave mine mineral oil and then beeswax oil combo, but been thinking I might want to try treating it with something more permanent perhaps. That darker tone on yours look real nice.

I used Birchwood Casey Tru-Oil Gun Stock Finish on the CCKs. On some other handles I've used Watco Tung Finish.

How's your handle? Mine was too thirsty and grippy when wet—I sanded it down and treated it.
I haven’t had any issues with the handle. It’s been out of rotation for a while though, perhaps it’s time to let it see some action again. We’re remaking the kitchen at the moment, and I should have more space when it’s done.

I haven’t had any issues with the handle. It’s been out of rotation for a while though, perhaps it’s time to let it see some action again. We’re remaking the kitchen at the moment, and I should have more space when it’s done.

Cool! Think it's personal pref, some like their handles grippy when wet, I don't. Perhaps it's a result of all my years of using pakka wood and plastic Wustof handles.

Anyone know where the CCKs are being made? I’m getting rumours they are OEM and made by the same producer as the one making Shibazi? Find it hard to believe but that person is insisting.

One of these will be next in my collection. I've always respected the Chinese chefs that rock the cleaver.

Anyone know where the CCKs are being made? I’m getting rumours they are OEM and made by the same producer as the one making Shibazi? Find it hard to believe but that person is insisting.
I once heard a friend of friend in China saying some Shuns are secretly made in China. Won’t be surprised if that’s the case given the volume.

Luckily received all old stamped from waaw1331. MIGHT grab just one more still :)

20210617_080927.jpg

And yes thats tru-oil there on the 1102 handle insipired by your CCK photos @DitmasPork

Thinking I could try a 100% tung next for the others (1503 and 1112).

The 1112 weighs 486grams and I really like it, but considering on buying a 1911/1912 perhaps still to have a lighter stainless slicer also. Would be a nice in between size. Its a dilemma though since I'd also like a 1902 universal cleaver/chopperslicer for some reason and tbh also a kau kong :D...

With the EU import changes coming in july not sure I want to order anything though. It took fedex over a week to clear my package in Finland after I paid and seen comments where it has taken considerably longer too. Now that the 22EUR limit is getting removed and everything needs to be declared, I can only imagine how bad Fedex will handle that.

And yes thats tru-oil there on the 1102 handle insipired by your CCK photos @DitmasPork

Thinking I could try a 100% tung next for the others (1503 and 1112).

The 1112 weighs 486grams and I really like it, but considering on buying a 1911/1912 perhaps still to have a lighter stainless slicer also. Would be a nice in between size. Its a dilemma though since I'd also like a 1902 universal cleaver/chopperslicer for some reason and tbh also a kau kong :D...

With the EU import changes coming in july not sure I want to order anything though. It took fedex over a week to clear my package in Finland after I paid and seen comments where it has taken considerably longer too. Now that the 22EUR limit is getting removed and everything needs to be declared, I can only imagine how bad Fedex will handle that.
I also have a big tin of 100% tung oil, but be aware that it takes much longer to cure/dry. I’ve been using TruOil and Watco mainly outta convenience. TBH, I’d prob use 100% tung if I weren’t impatient.

I also have a big tin of 100% tung oil, but be aware that it takes much longer to cure/dry. I’ve been using TruOil and Watco mainly outta convenience. TBH, I’d prob use 100% tung if I weren’t impatient.

Yes thats what I'm also thinking if I'll have the patience. Just some few lighter coats and not building any bigger film with it has been my idea.

Mineral oil has worked though also.. could just use that, I have a few bottles lying around.

Yes thats what I'm also thinking if I'll have the patience. Just some few lighter coats and not building any bigger film with it has been my idea.

Mineral oil has worked though also.. could just use that, I have a few bottles lying around.
Depends on what you want. I’m not a big mineral oil fan. Tung, Tru oil, Watco dries/cures, gets hard—mineral oil doesn’t.

Depends on what you want. I’m not a big mineral oil fan. Tung, Tru oil, Watco dries/cures, gets hard—mineral oil doesn’t.
I totally agree for most handles, but for some reason camellia oil (might as well be mineral oil) works really well for the wood on my CCK. Maybe I'm just used to it at this point, but I wouldn't want a hard cured oil for this knife, though I use tru oil on everything else

I totally agree for most handles, but for some reason camellia oil (might as well be mineral oil) works really well for the wood on my CCK. Maybe I'm just used to it at this point, but I wouldn't want a hard cured oil for this knife, though I use tru oil on everything else

Yes, the tru oil looks nice, but I think I like a bit more of a natural wood feel. Mineral oil is pretty nice in my view actually, but I want to try something else still. Something more permanent yet as close to natural wood feeling as possible. I have the impression 100% tung done lightly enough could be the ticket for me here, sound about right?

It dont seem to be available in the stores nearby though, so yet another online order then.

Yes, the tru oil looks nice, but I think I like a bit more of a natural wood feel. Mineral oil is pretty nice in my view actually, but I want to try something else still. Something more permanent yet as close to natural wood feeling as possible. I have the impression 100% tung done lightly enough could be the ticket for me here, sound about right?

It dont seem to be available in the stores nearby though, so yet another online order then.

An EU source? TUNG OIL natural oil finish 1 l

Note: I've never used or heard of this vendor.

I typically with only treat my non-ho wood handles. Only reason I treated the cck handle, was that it was too thirsty and grippy when wet for my tastes. I also sanded it down a little with a progression of sandpaper—my newer cck had a much rougher handle finish that my old one.

I found 100% tung from Finnish sources too, just dont seem to be on the shelves of the stores nearby, according to my web searches. Also have it in my amazon basket, along with a 10" zwilling pro chefs and a(nother) Lagostina frying pan :facepalm::upsidedownspin:.

My kf1503 handle is very very dry and thirsty too. Now it has a bit of chicken grease seasoning on it from chopping, perhaps I'll just continue dirting it up like that. Gonna need an apron haha, just yesterday I messed up not only my clothes hacking with it. Great knife imo.

Back