CCK Kau Kong?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gareth

Reaction score
Hi All,

I have had a CCK 1302 and 1103 for a few years now and love them. I have a small Shibazi cleaver I got many years ago in chinatown that I use for things like Yams, winter squashes, occasionally jointing a whole chicken and other things I wouldn't feel comfortable using my slicers on. It works fine but is a little small and I thought I would like to get something a little better and a little bigger and heavier and was thinking of either the CCK 1402 or 1401 Kau Kong cleavers. Just wondering what people thought of one vs the other - 1402 or 1401 - or if folks had any other suggestions.

Thanks!
Gareth

P.S. I am left handed, sharpen my knives, would prefer something carbon steel and kind of rustic looking and don't want to spend more than about $100 and am happy to spend less. Ideally it would be nice to get something that I could also use as a more general purpose tool. I probably prefer the size of my 1302 it really depends on the day and my mood. I find it too light though and even wish the 1103 had a bit more heft sometimes.
g

Hi All,

I have had a CCK 1302 and 1103 for a few years now and love them. I have a small Shibazi cleaver I got many years ago in chinatown that I use for things like Yams, winter squashes, occasionally jointing a whole chicken and other things I wouldn't feel comfortable using my slicers on. It works fine but is a little small and I thought I would like to get something a little better and a little bigger and heavier and was thinking of either the CCK 1402 or 1401 Kau Kong cleavers. Just wondering what people thought of one vs the other - 1402 or 1401 - or if folks had any other suggestions.

Thanks!
Gareth

P.S. I am left handed, sharpen my knives, would prefer something carbon steel and kind of rustic looking and don't want to spend more than about $100 and am happy to spend less. Ideally it would be nice to get something that I could also use as a more general purpose tool. I probably prefer the size of my 1302 it really depends on the day and my mood. I find it too light though and even wish the 1103 had a bit more heft sometimes.
g
So no one has any opinion on this or experience with the heavier CCK’s

I was unable find a 11xx when visiting a local giant kitchen supply house catering to Asian restaurants, but walked out with what I think is a 1203
It's way more than enough for a home chopper, overkill in fact.. 220x110, 630 gr
My 130x was gifted to my daughter, buy if I had it I'd just sharpen the heel to a more obtuse angle for the use you've described , but YMMV

CCK has different heavy carbon cleavers. The Kau Kong chopper is front loaded like many old western butcher cleavers. It has a good grind thick at the top thinning all the way to cutting edge.

I liked that cleaver for cutting up boiled whole
Chickens for cold ginger chicken platters for banquets & buffets. They can be sharpened up
after heavy use ready for action again.

I have a Kang Kau chopper I picked up in Hong Kong. Think it’s the middle size, don’t remember the model number.
Strong heavy blade that I use when I don’t want to worry, and it’s worked very well for that. Steel sharpens up well, but I keep it on the coarser side.

I have a CCK Kau Kong but found it has limits as a bone chopper. Works great on poultry and small pork ribs. For some reason I can't remember now I needed to chop up some beef ribs. I ended up dinging the blade pretty bad. Guess I needed one of those really heavy cleavers you see in Asian meat stalls fro that.

If you have a ban saw and I don't. Nor do virtually any of the Asian butchers I have watched in a half dozen different countries over there. Cleavers in various sizes do all the work.

Back