Cerax 700 vs chosera 600

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shinyunggyun

Banned
Reaction score
Anyone ever used both of these stones enough to compare cutting speed and tactile feel/feedback?

Chosera 600 loses for me in comparison! The Cerax 700 has much better feedback and feel for me and is faster. On the negative side, the Cerax is a soaker, makes more mud and deburring is harder than on the Chosera.

In short, I have both stones here, I would replace the Cerax immediately when I've used it up, but not the Chosera.

I was recently comparing a Chosera/Pro 600 to a King Deluxe 800. The King cut faster and coarser.
:Iagree:

Since the 600 has best performance with harder more demanding alloys, it was never a favourite of anyone. You will have a difficult time finding 600 liked anywhere.

Mostly used it for custom blades to put final bevels. Until I completely moved to diamond/cbn. Common S110V, M398, ZDP-189.
Wait a minute, that solves a future problem of mine...

https://www.kitchenknifeforums.com/threads/naniwa-diamond-are-they-worth.58073/#post-889433
In the linked thread, my question is about abrasives for harder more demanding alloys, in case I run into problems with my current stones on some future pocket knives... that means I can save myself the purchase of diamonds because the Chosera 600 also works with these steels? Really?

If some are thin enough, if you don't want to change a too thick bevel, yes. Even with something like JNS 1000 I can get a shaving edge from S110V. I don't think that's the real issue, at least with some of them.
The question should be different. Can you get the best performance out of those alloys with it? My answer would be negative. In your situation there, I would try Venev, CGSW and Nanohone, before Naniwa. Some are affordable enough even put against the price of Chosera 600.

The question should be different. Can you get the best performance out of those alloys with it? My answer would be negative. In your situation there, I would try Venev, CGSW and Nanohone, before Naniwa. Some are affordable enough even put against the price of Chosera 600.
Your point of view really helped me, thank you very much.

I'll keep Venev and CGSW as an alternative in mind for the future.

Back