Changing beliefs about knives

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I should also mention, if you are looking broadly to pick up an intro into carbon gyutos, I have really enjoyed the Masakage Shimo 210, it is W2, it is Damascus, but not obnoxiously so, actually very subtle and nice, also at a nice price. I wasn't too keen on the magnolia handle, but burnt mine and actually quite like it now. A strop with compound keeps the W2 super sharp.
When I got this one, my 10 yr old daughter said about the Damascus pattern, "it looks like a river with trees and people at the side..." So that is all I see now too.
View attachment 120585

I have one in the 240 mm length and I agree with everything you say about it. Now that Yu Kurosaki is making knives under his own name, though, I wonder if we'll see any more Masakage knives made by him.

I have one in the 240 mm length and I agree with everything you say about it. Now that Yu Kurosaki is making knives under his own name, though, I wonder if we'll see any more Masakage knives made by him.
Knifewear had the shimo line restocked recently, but when I looked yesterday they were already gone, but that is a good question. I've heard good things about his AS Fujin gyutos and they are also beautiful, I picked up a petty in that line a while back and really enjoy using it here and there for smaller things

Knifewear had the shimo line restocked recently, but when I looked yesterday they were already gone, but that is a good question. I've heard good things about his AS Fujin gyutos and they are also beautiful, I picked up a petty in that line a while back and really enjoy using it here and there for smaller things

Some of his newer knife lines (Raijin, Senko) are just a bit too busy for my tastes.

Some of his newer knife lines (Raijin, Senko) are just a bit too busy for my tastes.
I think I totally understand that. As I started to upgrade my knives about a year ago, as time has gone on, I have started more and more to lean towards clean migaki or a natural looking nashiji finish on the cladding, with an interesting boundary line where the cladding meets the edge steel. And even that is taking a back seat to profile and steel. As far as Damascus goes, I do like the subtle way he did it with the Shimo line. Ironically maybe, the first knife I acquired when I got back into this a little more than a year ago has a very dark pronounced Damascus pattern (Shiki black dragon powdered nickel R-2 Dammy). I would totally have already sold it by now if not for the fact that it seems to be the one my wife reaches for, so it is kinda her knife now. I try to encourage her to use them all, but she is afraid of damaging them and won't.

Back