Quantcast

Changing beliefs about knives

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

lucabrasi

Reaction score
Used to think cutting on anything outside of end grain maple was reasonably considered abuse. Super super dumb.

valdim

Reaction score
*I thought KKF is a boring place where kitchen chefs exchange recipies (and their pics) in order to show off with their new knives. Wrong. It is great place with some strange ppl (me among them) and lots of nice ppl.
*I never thought (in the begining) I would place WTB thread about a Xerxes...I do think about such thread now...
*I did not know that a good basic (or average) knife can make such a difference when I cook. Amazing! To cook with a sharp knife you have carefully selected among MANY offers, a knife you read about for months, before you hit the "order" button - it is a real pleasure.*@l@
* @lemeneid, @Carl Kotte, @Corradobrit1, @RDalman &co could be that helpful team to give me a piece of advise at a moment when I met a TF Maboroshi. Thank you guys, you are part of a nice memory.
*there r more and more

danemonji

Reaction score
I used to think I needed more knives. Have totally changed my opinion on knives after having bought the Kramer Zwilling 10 inch and 8 inch carbons (i bought both for 450$) two months ago. After having them thinned, they are the only knives i've used in my kitchen since.
I don't feel the need to grab any of my japanese or high end knives anymore.
Also 52100 at 61-62hrc has become my favorite steel. In two months of daily use without a single touch up or strop, both knives are still very sharp and I am no longer obsessed with sharpening. Each day i test their sharpness and they still shave hair.
I also like the fact that 52100 is not very reactive, taking a gunmetal patina and without any reactivity to acids anymore.
Best thing is in the past months I did not feel the urge to buy any other knives( other than a custom bark river bushcrafter in cpm 3v for camping ). Every time I see a knife I compare its value(steel /build /price) to the two Kramers and so far none made it pass this filter.
You could say I have made it out of the rabbit hole.

Last edited:

AFKitchenknivesguy

Reaction score
I used to think I needed more knives. Have totally changed my opinion on knives after having bought the Kramer Zwilling 10 inch and 8 inch carbons (i bought both for 450$) two months ago. After having them thinned, they are the only knives i've used in my kitchen since.
Also 52100 at 61-62hrc has become my favorite steel. In two months of daily use without a single touch up or strop, both knives are still very sharp and I am no longer obsessed with sharpening. Each day i test their sharpness and they still shave hair.
I also like the fact that 52100 is not very reactive, taking a gunmetal patina and without any reactivity to acids anymore.
Best thing is in the past months I did not feel the urge to buy any other knives( other than a custom bark river bushcrafter in cpm 3v for camping ). Every time I see a knife I compare its value(steel /build /price) to the two Kramers and so far none made it pass this filter.
So far I have made it out of the rabbit hole.
I like the fact you love 52100, and you have reached the point where your happy with what you have. I wish I could be so lucky.

M1k3

Ni!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You could say I have made it out of the rabbit hole.
I'm a big fan of 52100 now also.

panda

O.G.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm a big fan of 52100 now also.
im still not a fan of the steel itself, im only a fan of shihan's treatment of it. that sounds cliche as hell but its the honest truth. i havent really liked it in other knives. marko's was good but wasnt anything sexy.