Changing beliefs about knives

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dafox

Reaction score
What are some of the beliefs that you originally held about knives that you have since changed?

Cutting mostly. But I certainly have some highly varied experiences in their sharpening as well. I have AS that sharpens easily(Denka) and white 1 that’s a bear (Carter). There are many other examples, but as been said so many times before; it is the treatment of the steel by the “smith” that is so critical especially in sharpening.

’I don’t like knives that are too blade heavy and forward balanced’
’Whetstone sharpening is impossible’
’I will never have to thin my knives’
’Knives arrive from the Smith/maker/factory in the best possible condition in terms of finish and performance’

Last edited:
Cutting mostly. But I certainly have some highly varied experiences in their sharpening as well. I have AS that sharpens easily(Denka) and white 1 that’s a bear (Carter). There are many other examples, but as been said so many times before; it is the treatment of the steel by the “smith” that is so critical especially in sharpening.
Just curious, are you saying that the white 1 Carter is difficult to sharpen?

When I first started getting into knives i thought work horses and lasers meant totally different things to what they actually meant. I bought only knives considered work horses bc i thought it would be better suited for actual kitchen work.

• I was told as an apprentice that a full bolster and rivets are a sign of a quality knife
  • At one stage I believed that a super polished edge that could cut a hanging hair is the ultimate goal for a kitchen knife
  • I used to think that ferrules served no functional purpose, and were only there for aesthetics
  • Through initial observations, I used to think travelling knife-sharpeners (the ones that go kitchen-to-kitchen) were highly trained in an advanced skill that all chefs relied on
  • I thought that high quality steel guaranteed a high quality knife

Latest posts

Back