Changing beliefs about knives

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Are 2 or 3 rivets preferred? Should the bolster be slightly or extremely past the edge?

Re: Rivets. Am I the only one that knows that properly done rivets are the correct diameter for a julienne cut? And that the spacing between 2 of the 3 rivets is the proper length for that julienne? I read it on the internet.....

Re: Rivets. Am I the only one that knows that properly done rivets are the correct diameter for a julienne cut? And that the spacing between 2 of the 3 rivets is the proper length for that julienne? I read it on the internet.....
So 3 rivets is preferred?
How about bolster size and relation to cutting edge?

Oh I have another question, for those of you who say the treat of the steel is what matters, while I completely agree (I just am buying different Hitachi carbons to ensure variety, otherwise I’d have like all white 2) has anyone tried two different knives by the same maker but in different steels?

I’ll tell you one thing I learned from this forum:
Don’t condemn White 2 because your only white 2 Gyuto is a Masamoto KS... although I have yet to taste the fruit of this revelation.

Single bevel knives are for professional sushi chefs only, and they should only be used to cut fish
People that own more than 5 knives and 3 stones are totally out of their minds
Cutting a tomato sideways is cool
Cutting a grape sideways is cool
I need a Honesuki
Polishing knives is so stupid because of patina
Everyone on the knife forum has anime like knife skills
giphy (2).gif

Single bevel knives are for professional sushi chefs only, and they should only be used to cut fish
People that own more than 5 knives and 3 stones are totally out of their minds
Cutting a tomato sideways is cool
Cutting a grape sideways is cool
I need a Honesuki
Polishing knives is so stupid because of patina
Everyone on the knife forum has anime like knife skills
View attachment 95499

Did Sisyphus have to change his day job because of the pandemic too? Poor little guy.

2) has anyone tried two different knives by the same maker but in different steels?

Better yet, similar knives from the same maker in different steels. The answer is yes, steel makes a difference. How much of difference depends on the steels and how close to the limit you are pushing geometry.

Better yet, similar knives from the same maker in different steels. The answer is yes, steel makes a difference. How much of difference depends on the steels and how close to the limit you are pushing geometry.
I definitely notice a difference between @HSC /// Knives 52100 and Zwear. But they are totally different steels compositionally.

Cutting mostly. But I certainly have some highly varied experiences in their sharpening as well. I have AS that sharpens easily(Denka) and white 1 that’s a bear (Carter). There are many other examples, but as been said so many times before; it is the treatment of the steel by the “smith” that is so critical especially in sharpening.
I have 2 Carters and they are by far the easiest to sharpen, so I’m surprise you say that.

Hey so Kipp said he thought the ferrule was pointless back in the day, what exactly does it do?
When the tang of a knife is forced into the handle like a wedge, the ferrule stops the wood from splitting and cracking apart during use.
Ferrules should be made from something with high tensile strength. Brass and horn are popular.

The following pictures are about wood turning tools, but they apply to knives nonetheless.
wpd6432057_06.png

wp955dee88_06.png

1dEJ39r.jpg

Last edited:
Use to think that the type of steel was all that mattered (think Solingen, Swedish, 420c)
Use to think that super steel (CPM 3v, CPM s35vn, M4, etc) made the simpler carbon steels irrelevant
Use to think that Bark River's fantastic heat treat of A2 made up for overly thick designs

Came back to carbon mostly and would like to see powdered versions of some of the simpler older varieties of carbon, just for the additional uniformness in structure.

I discovered for myself that a knife doesn't cut. Not any one of them. So far at least. Perhaps a 2000$ one will but I doubt it.

Seriously I've put cameras in my kitchen for weeks. These things just stay put and don't make a move. Certainly they don't cut anything. They're lazy overspent suckers.

No... I need to take them and cut with them. I need to maintain them. I need to get them fit and sharp. I need to understand their needs, but also to put my foot to the ground and reiterate the rules of the house. I don't say if they would take the stuff out, cut it and throw in a good Bolognese, but as far as they don't, by my rules stand my house, my knives, my skills and any aspect of my life I have control upon.

If anyone is in doubt that I or a whole lot of others around here actually use these things, well they can lick the patina out of my double bevels.

I do hope, and am sad having to specify, that y'all see the humor of this post and keep forward with saying interesting bits rather than turning this thread into yet another vendetta against things that but only exist in your deepest dissatisfactions with life.

Does someone actually understand that this is no tribune to ***** about one another when we all love the same things, and cannot share this kind of passion with anyone else but another aficionado, and whatever his level so far and his views he's entitled to them. If even knives divide people that love knives, I sure don't see any point to this forum.
I agree, Venus truly is a Russian planet,

Ad rem...
When I bought my first Japanese knife for $ 250, I thought it was the most expensive, then $ 300, $ 400 at the end, $ 500 - it was supposed to be the last, but it wasn't ...... 1000+ 😬
Well, the worst thing is that the same horror movie is with stones 🤪
Then it turned out that not only Japanese knives are cool ... 🤒

Guys, I am new to this forum, even relatively new to Japanese knives, and I tell ya' my old misconceptions (from, say, a month or two ago) are changing fast. Going back to those very recent (innocent) days:

1) I thought I was a fanatic for spending $80 to $185 on each of my 6 or 10 most decent knives and for similar expenditures on sharpening stones and accessories. My wife frowns at my every acquisition and is still determined to convince me and everyone we know that I have a malady. Now I know that my minor knife obsession really is minor, and rather it is everyone else on KKF who are in need of rehab.

2) I thought all professional restaurant cooks and chefs (besides sushi chefs) use Victorinox or Mercer blades, or else use cheap or rented house knives that a service collects and resharpens for them every week. (When I mentioned to my wife that some restaurant professionals collected and routinely used $300+ knives at work she gave me that look that said "it's just not so, stupid.")

3) I thought well-to-do home cooks pretty much stuck to Shun and Global and Wustof (or Cutco, god forbid) and that their sharpening routine involved once a year dragging the blades through a Chef's Choice electric sharpener. It now seems that many of them, on the other hand, have pretty esoteric high end arsenals and stones.

4) I thought stainless steel knives were best since they did not rust. Now I know the ones that do rust are generally more expensive and have better edges and that their steel types are named after wrapping paper.

Now I realize I am small potatoes, that I am a mere budding enthusiast that knows nothing of the less commercial, or custom, or niche knife makers, or about asymmetrical microbeveling and thinning. I now know people actually buy $4000 kitchen knives, and that there are people who, just for fun I guess, own and have at home a dozen or more high-end wa-nakiris.

I have a lot to learn, and I hope not to go broke during the process.

Back