Chanterelles

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bodine

Reaction score
I forage chanterelles every year, cook them in butter and freeze them to use all year long, this morning was a good morning

Attachments

• E2D38C19-2C33-4E16-8DA2-FF679C247347.jpeg
    E2D38C19-2C33-4E16-8DA2-FF679C247347.jpeg
    237.6 KB · Views: 77
  • F94DEC22-2945-4064-A7DB-B6BFB69AEB75.jpeg
    F94DEC22-2945-4064-A7DB-B6BFB69AEB75.jpeg
    153.5 KB · Views: 71
  • F8D687AD-33A8-4C6D-8DD1-761D01FA3590.jpeg
    F8D687AD-33A8-4C6D-8DD1-761D01FA3590.jpeg
    181.7 KB · Views: 55
Wonderful. and a great size too. Been a while since I had them. I once had them pickled, and they were so refreshing tangy. oh my........

I forage chanterelles every year, cook them in butter and freeze them to use all year long, this morning was a good morning
I have never frozen mushrooms. Does freezing them after cooking (or before) affect their texture and consistency?

I see interesting trophies on the wall in the other room. What's your other interests?

I have never frozen mushrooms. Does freezing them after cooking (or before) affect their texture and consistency?
They actually retain their texture and flavor if you cook before freezing, I tried dehydrating and it did not work for me. Just put them in a pan on medium heat with a tab of butter after a while they release the water in them, when the water is gone add a bit more butter, remove and let cool.

I see interesting trophies on the wall in the other room. What's your other interests?
I have been hunting , fishing and surfing all my life. About 30 years ago I added golf to the list.
I also lour course my Rhodesian Ridgebacks a few times a year.

Nice haul - has been a couple of years since I've gone foraging. Don't know if I've gotten lazy, or just had other hobbies taking up time.

Just starting to pop in my area. I'm out of ramp butter, I think I'll grab some herbs and make a nice compound butter with the chants I grab today.

Can't grill oysters with black truffle butter EVERY time.

Chanterelle do not dehydrate add well as other mushrooms. They don't rehydrate well and get a but butter in my experience. They are great to add to broths, or if you're going to puree them!

They actually retain their texture and flavor if you cook before freezing, I tried dehydrating and it did not work for me. Just put them in a pan on medium heat with a tab of butter after a while they release the water in them, when the water is gone add a bit more butter, remove and let cool.
+1

If you freeze them raw, they go all mushy after they defrost because the ice crystals burst all the cell walls as the water freezes. Once cooked, and most of the moisture is out of the mushrooms, they freeze reasonably well (but you will still end up with more liquid after defrosting than you had originally).

I guess I should have added, I always eat mine fresh, but when I have extra, I dehydrate for future use in soups or spaghetti sauce. Yes, if you want to sautee them, doesn't work so well.

A02C9E4B-CFC1-48AE-AE53-D1F963339E76.jpeg
A local shop (Hoodoo Ice Cream) has Chanterelle this time of year. It is the best ice cream I’ve ever had! Has cinnamon, honey, butter flavors.

I made a pretty good risotto with Chants from my property last week.

Did some quick scouting today and think I have 10+ pounds to collect.

@Boondocker can you share your butter recipe, and your primary uses?

Any other Chanterelle recipes around here?

I just roasted chanterelle with salt and pepper then diced after cooling (but not before grabbing the hot ****ing pan with my bare hand like a dumdum), minced some parsley and chives then folded it into softened butter. I sometimes use good processor but I wanted but chunks of mushroom that would crisp a bit frying on those oysters.

I usually try to have an much goodies as the butter can hold.
IMG_20200702_180624365.jpg

Back