Cheap carbon razor

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ruso

Reaction score
What is the best cheapest carbon steel straight razor to buy?
I do not need it for shaving, but for cutting.

go to ali-express and get some Gold Dollar ones.. I have a couple and they can get scary sharp quite easily... depending on what you want to invest in them, I have found the "bolster" (sorry wrong term can't think of the right one) can be poorly made and get in the road of sharpening.... I haven't got around to it, but I intend to just file me away to get rid of that problem.

What are you going to be cutting?

What are you going to be cutting?
Mainly scoring the bread.

go to ali-express and get some Gold Dollar ones.. I have a couple and they can get scary sharp quite easily... depending on what you want to invest in them, I have found the "bolster" (sorry wrong term can't think of the right one) can be poorly made and get in the road of sharpening.... I haven't got around to it, but I intend to just file me away to get rid of that problem.

Thank you for the suggestion, very well priced.

@Luftmensch
I want to avoid the reusable blade route.

I picked up cheap disposable razors from cvs. They work as well as a sharp kitchen knife.

Mainly scoring the bread.
Why not just use your petty or paring knife instead? Straight razors are really thin and can get pretty brittle and can chip if you apply too much force if your dough is a little too stiff for example.

Do you mean baked bread or dough (as @lemeneid mentioned... dough I am sure)? If you want to score dough, a scalpel is also a possibility....

For scouring dough, surely the thinness of the blade is more important than absolute edge sharpness. A well cared for replaceable blade would be functional for a very, very long time I imagine?

But fair enough! The Gold Dollar aught to fill ya needs!

Definitely the dough. Not planning to cut a fresh baguette with the razor :)
I use Yanagiba to a great success now, but I want to try something “quicker”. And going disposable route - meh, just does not appeal to me.

Thaks all for chiming in, looks like the golden buck is the way to go.

Last edited:
noz-lamane-ostrze.jpg

https://www.whippeddog.com/straight-razors

Check that place out if you want an actual straight razor on the cheap. Gold dollars will prolly work but I’ve never heard anything good about them. That is in regards to shaving your face tho, not cutting dough. I know you said you didn’t want disposable but I can’t help to recommend at least checking out a Weck Sextoblade. It’s what I use to actually shave, it takes hair shaper blades that are very cheap.

Gold dollars will prolly work but I’ve never heard anything good about them.

I stopped following the razor scene a while ago - my impression is that they are cheap but 'bad' beginner razors. 'Bad' because the factory sharpness is not particularly good. 'Bad' because the stabilisers can get in the way of honing. And 'bad' because the spine is thick leading to a relatively obtuse bevel angle.... If you are experienced enough to remedy these short comings, the steel is decent enough to take and hold a good edge - so a functional razor can be purchased at a fraction of the cost of others...

Either way... certainly good enough to score dough!

Back