cheap new gyuto for practice sharpennig

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

camilorosso

Reaction score
I am looking for a gyuto knife with a hard steel (more than 60HRC) to practice my sharpness and test how useful it can be in my kitchen. That's why I don't want to spend a lot of money, would it be possible to buy a 210mm gyuto for 60 or 70 dollars?

Gracias por responder, me gustaría mucho un gyuto con alto contenido de carbono, o puede ser tipo chef que sea duro y mantenga el filo por mucho tiempo, y eso es un desafío para afilarlo.

I've got a Kanetsune KC-702 210 carbon yo-gyuoto for less than €60, including 21% VAT. Decent knives, but the edge requires some serious work with a really coarse stone. You may shorten the job by starting with sandpaper instead. Comes with a chisel grind which should be more balanced to match the dominant face, and is far too thick immediately behind the edge, especially after correcting its geometry. A little hour to remediate. Very comfortable handle. Even if you normally don't care, it's a nice feature when sharpening (thank you for pointing this out, @stringer !).
Nice, to me unknown steel. Takes and holds a fine highly polished edge while keeping its bite. Something in the 60‐61Rc range.

Care to specify some more information about the steel type you are looking for (stainless/not)? There are plenty of <$70 knives that can be had for your intended purpose.
Thanks for answering, I would really like a gyuto with a high carbon content, or it can be a chef type that is hard and keeps the edge for a long time, and that is a challenge to sharpen

I've got a Kanetsune KC-702 210 carbon yo-gyuoto for less than €60, including 21% VAT. Decent knives, but the edge requires some serious work with a really coarse stone. You may shorten the job by starting with sandpaper instead. Comes with a chisel grind which should be more balanced to match the dominant face, and is far too thick immediately behind the edge, especially after correcting its geometry. A little hour to remediate. Very comfortable handle. Even if you normally don't care, it's a nice feature when sharpening (thank you for pointing this out, @stringer !).
Nice, to me unknown steel. Takes and holds a fine highly polished edge while keeping its bite. Something in the 60‐61Rc range.
thanks fo ryour answer,

this knife is good at retaining the edge, the edge is hard, or it needs to be sharpened very often

I do not know the exact HRC, unfortunately. The edge is hard in the usual way Japanese knives are harder than German knives.

I can report that it is good at retaining the edge. It does not need to be sharpened very often, though it gets sharpened often anyway because, well, it is a practice knife.

The failure mode is chipping rather than rolling. I microchipped it yesterday by torquing against a poly board by mistake. Now there is a bright spot in the edge. Still, it cuts through paper towel well. My current project is thinning, so that doesn’t bother me. It will come out soon enough.

The steel is not super wear-resistant. It responds well to my SG stones. I have it at 10 degrees per side with a convexed microbevel at about 17.

Thanks for answering, I would really like a gyuto with a high carbon content, or it can be a chef type that is hard and keeps the edge for a long time, and that is a challenge to sharpen
Carbons sharpen easily, even when very hard. The best edge retention I've ever found was with Aogami Super at 64Rc. Still very easy to sharpen. No challenge at all. Just start with a good coarse stone.
Most difficult to sharpen are soft stainless with big, clustering carbides. Unstable edges. Burrs popping up after a while. Very abrasion resistant AND having a poor edge retention. Think Global's Cromova or whatever Kai uses in their Wasabi series. Impossible to get a fine and stable edge.
There are some new stainless who are very hard, highly charged, with a spectacular edge retention and requiring diamond stones. Not within your budget. Still underperforming if compared to the simplest carbons.

i think, buy a hard steele chef knife, comparable with a japanesse knife,

Accept recomendations

Can be.

IIRC, Takefu makers generally only treat it to around 63HRC. It can be treated up to 66 or 67 but the failure rate is much higher at this hardness.

Even so, 63 is fine for kitchen use and it's a pretty nice steel to sharpen.
you know a onlien store, for this knife

Latest posts

Back