Cheap Saya Covers

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mobiledynamics

Reaction score
I've got toddlers running amuck in the house these days. My 3 year old even figured out how to get on a step stool and climbed up the countertop .......he was holding cookies that were in the upper cupboard ;-)

Anyhow, I've trying to be conscious of the details and have resorted to moving all the knives into the drawers. One of our drawers has wooden organizer in it. Some knives are in Saya covers, others are in regular knife guards. Due to the constant open/close movement of the drawers, the ones in knife guards are just either coming loose and the tips end up -hitting- the back of the drawer.

Anyhow, just short of some new Magnetic Knife Guards, any places for =inexpensive saya covers=

Shihan makes cork lined knife guards for like 12 dollars. They hold right in place

Go for the Ippintei Saya. They’re my absolute favorite inexpensive option. Unfortunately there’re a little difficult to obtain but if you can they’re really handy.

Can one of our many amazing vendors please start importing them?

Anyhow, just short of some new Magnetic Knife Guards, any places for =inexpensive saya covers=

Edro sayas are reasonable.
https://edro-made.myshopify.com/collections/saya
For a little more $$, one can send them a tracing of the blade to get a better fit without mailing in the knife.
https://edro-made.myshopify.com/pages/custom-saya

The Shihan blade covers are great, but the exposed spine will still bang around in your drawer.
In some ways I prefer cardboard sayas.
  1. Cheap
  2. Protects the entire blade, unlike edge guards
  3. Easy to customize for snug fit and
  4. Can line with VCI paper for carbon blades
  5. Take up less room in drawer or roll
P1050548.jpg
P1050549.jpg

Not sure exactly what your needs are with the kids,
BUT i often just use newspaper. Nice and thick, nice and protective, cant cut through all the sheets.

Buy some 1/8" balsa, some wood glue, a few cheapy clamps, sandpaper and a coping saw and make your own. Way simpler than most realize. Balsa is super easy to cut, and super inexpensive.

Or you can just start educating the kids. Every time explain how knives are dangerous, of if you by any chance get a cut show it to them etc.

It worked for me and many other kkf members.

Buy some 1/8" balsa, some wood glue, a few cheapy clamps, sandpaper and a coping saw and make your own. Way simpler than most realize. Balsa is super easy to cut, and super inexpensive.

+1 to this.

I tend to use Basswood as it is a bit more sturdy. I’ve even carved out a few two piece ones. But the 3 piece is much quicker than you’d imagine.

Mowgs

True. Basswood is still very easy to cut by hand. Also, balsa can crush and dent easier, but you can almost cut 1/8" with an exacto knife.

Agreed. As far as ease of use balsa is way easier. Hell I could use one of my knives to shape balsa haha

Mowgs

Back