checking for a burr

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

r0bz

Reaction score
i like sharpening with gloves is there any way i can check for the burr while keeping my gloves on my hands?
thank you for the help !!!!

Run a makeup pad or cotton ball across the edge the way one would normally check with fingers...

Take care

Jeff

Use a flashlight.

Lay it flat on the side of the knife, so that the burr acts like a wall you shine towards.
You can see any burr easily this way. Especially at higher gritts, where feeling burr gets harder, the flashlight trick is the best method for me.
You will always spot burr remnants very easily. It comes in handy to check for those little centimeters per side u missed while deburring

Use a flashlight.

Lay it flat on the side of the knife, so that the burr acts like a wall you shine towards.
You can see any burr easily this way. Especially at higher gritts, where feeling burr gets harder, the flashlight trick is the best method for me.
You will always spot burr remnants very easily. It comes in handy to check for those little centimeters per side u missed while deburring
sounds interesting do yo have a picture of that ? best regards

sounds interesting do yo have a picture of that ? best regards

Although this isn't actual burr, more likely a damaged edge due to friction, burr does light up the same way.
As you see, you don't need a very bright light, neither do you need to check in a very dark room.

Inked20211007_191623_LI.jpg
Inked20211007_191637_LI.jpg

Better example. This is actual burr. It's the same knife, left side versus right side. Without a camera in one hand its easy to walk the knife from heel to tip to spot exactly where the edge isnt clean.
Make sure you clean the knife before checking (running water) and dont cut paper with it first. The fibers attached to the knife will also light up.

Left picture: no burr
Right picture: burr along the way.

20211007_195321.jpg
20211007_195346.jpg

Better example. This is actual burr. It's the same knife, left side versus right side. Without a camera in one hand its easy to walk the knife from heel to tip to spot exactly where the edge isnt clean.
Make sure you clean the knife before checking (running water) and dont cut paper with it first. The fibers attached to the knife will also light up.

View attachment 146233View attachment 146234
Thanks for this, very well explained and easy to see.

In addition only: the side that feels buttery on the stone is where there still is a burr.

I'd make this primary on the deburring headboard. But until you said it... I wouldn't have been able to so rightly point out what I often feel on the last stone as I strop one and the other side. I'll have this burning at the back of my head next time I do a more reluctant steel.

As mentioned, there are tons of ways to detect larger burrs... I'd add stropping it against the underside of your forearm, which is typically fairly sensitive and not as hairy. You'll feel the burr-side scrape.

View attachment 146233View attachment 146234
i sometimes have a burr like shown here and i cant feel it with my fingers
1663600591270.png

1682765971719.png

i sometimes can see the burr like this with the flashlight but cant feel it , i can feel it only if its a big burr from a coarse stone
is it normal or what can i do ??

If you draw the burr edge trailing across a tissue or paper towel, the fibers will snag even small burrs. I still do this after many years if I’m unsure
yes i used a ear cotton swab thing and i can feel the small burr with it and see it when shining a flashlight but my fingertips cant feel it :(

yes i used a ear cotton swab thing and i can feel the small burr with it and see it when shining a flashlight but my fingertips cant feel it :(
As long as you have some kind of alternative way to check, you'll be fine. I myself have some nerve damage in my fingertips. So for me, I always check a second way for a burr to confirm.

As long as you have some kind of alternative way to check, you'll be fine. I myself have some nerve damage in my fingertips. So for me, I always check a second way for a burr to confirm.
how did you get nerve damage in there ??
i find is so annoying that using a an ear cotton swab i can feel the burr also when shining the light but with the fingertips i cant feel :(

how did you get nerve damage in there ??
i find is so annoying that using a an ear cotton swab i can feel the burr also when shining the light but with the fingertips i cant feel :(
Occupational hazard. Young, dumb and working hard instead of smarter. Lots of grill and sauté station.

Try using your finger nail.
For flesh, try this. Compare the known edges of two knives. One with, and one without a burr. See if you can then detect the difference. Think in very subtle terms/feeling.

Try using your finger nail.
For flesh, try this. Compare the known edges of two knives. One with, and one without a burr. See if you can then detect the difference. Think in very subtle terms/feeling.
with the nail i can feel it catching the problem is with the flesh

You'll develop better feel as you become more proficient.

When I started I could only feel a burr if it was shelf sized. A little better now. When it doubt, grab a cotton ball.

Back