Checking in from Switzerland

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jimbbles

Reaction score
Hi all,

I've very quickly developed a love/hate relationship with this forum. Love the knives. Hate that I want all the knives. I don't have a collection to speak of but (to the detriment of my wallet) I imagine that might change in the coming years. I just love the camaraderie amongst you guys. I stalked a few of the BST threads and the way you are all trading around and offering fair prices to share the love of these beautiful tools is great.

I discovered Benjamin Kamon's work the other day and this forum has been a great resource in deciding whether to take the plunge on a custom. I've enjoyed reading around so much that I figured I'd get registered already in case I ever feel like chiming in.

Dunno if anyone's interested in my background so I'll just leave it at that for now.

Glad to be here!
Jamie

P.S. Not sure if it's 100% confirmed yet but Benjamin and I have been talking ;)

Welcome! Another Swiss member, yeah!

don’t buy from Austrians though! (Just kidding...or am I?) 🤣

let me know if you want to try a Kamon, shoot me a PM if you want.

Thanks for the welcome! I'm British myself, but these days I've got at least a bit of Swiss patriotism in me. Bloody great country.

Welcome to the forums. Soon you wallet will be just silently crying in the corner :)

No doubt.

living in VD myself.

Sweet! I'm waaaaay over the other end in St. Gallen.

Welcome! Another Swiss member, yeah!

don’t buy from Austrians though! (Just kidding...or am I?) 🤣

let me know if you want to try a Kamon, shoot me a PM if you want.

Very kind offer. When I was lurking I saw that you were a fan (of the knives at least) @alterwisser. I'm totally new to high-end knives so would be too nervous about borrowing one until I've had a bit more experience with ones I've paid for myself. I've had nothing fancier than a simple Yaxell san mai Santoku so have a way to go.

Thanks for the welcome! I'm British myself, but these days I've got at least a bit of Swiss patriotism in me. Bloody great country.

No doubt.

Sweet! I'm waaaaay over the other end in St. Gallen.

Very kind offer. When I was lurking I saw that you were a fan (of the knives at least) @alterwisser. I'm totally new to high-end knives so would be too nervous about borrowing one until I've had a bit more experience with ones I've paid for myself. I've had nothing fancier than a simple Yaxell san mai Santoku so have a way to go.

You could try the production knife 🤷🏼‍♂️

You could try the production knife 🤷🏼‍♂️

I am curious but still a little worried about handling other people's knives for now. Anyway the decision is made - at least we've agreed on the details and price. Dunno if that's a guarantee until cold-hard cash is involved, but it's a fixed commitment from my end.

As I'm totally new to the custom-knife scene (and I know it can be a small world), what's the etiquette of talking about commissions?

I am curious but still a little worried about handling other people's knives for now. Anyway the decision is made - at least we've agreed on the details and price. Dunno if that's a guarantee until cold-hard cash is involved, but it's a fixed commitment from my end.

As I'm totally new to the custom-knife scene (and I know it can be a small world), what's the etiquette of talking about commissions?

yes, if he committed to make you a knife you’ll get the knife! He’s a man of his word, even though he’s Austrian! 😜🤣

From your side?

let’s just say it’s a b*tch move to order a custom and then not take it

Haha no I'm all-in. I think this is all getting a bit unclear. There's nothing nefarious going on. I sent my request, we talked about it, he sent me the quote, and I said yes. I just don't know (maybe coz I'm a noob) if that's a guarantee on his end. All this happened in the last 3 days.

By the way @alterwisser you just hit your 2000 message count. You've won a picture of a yacht.

1603913502982.png

Haha no I'm all-in. I think this is all getting a bit unclear. There's nothing nefarious going on. I sent my request, we talked about it, he sent me the quote, and I said yes. I just don't know (maybe coz I'm a noob) if that's a guarantee on his end. All this happened in the last 3 days.

yes, that’s a commitment from him!

Yes - Basel, you guessed correctly. Very central - we get our bread and cheese in France, and our groceries groceries from Germany. Actually Hiebers has this amazing bread called the Fribourg - among the best I have had!

Also, white truffles - Basel is not too far from Milan, so the season has started already - they are a bit expensive this year, but how can you not indulge!. You can pick them up in the farmers market in Marktplatz each day.

Latest posts

Back