Chef knife recommendation

Discussion in 'The Kitchen Knife' started by Adam_M, Nov 19, 2019.

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums by donating:

1. Nov 19, 2019 #1

Adam_M

Adam_M

Adam_M

I just got my first j-knife and am hooked. One of my good friends loves to cook as well and had been looking for a new knife. Seems like a good opportunity to introduce him to Japanese style knives and get him a nice gift.

KNIFE TYPE
    What type of knife are you interested in (e.g., chef’s knife, slicer, boning knife, utility knife, bread knife, paring knife, cleaver)? Chef's knife/gyuto

Are you right or left handed? Right

Are you interested in a Western handle (e.g., classic Wusthof handle) or Japanese handle? Prefer Western, but a larger Japanese handle would be fine as well.

What length of knife (blade) are you interested in (in inches or millimeters)? 210mm/8"

Do you require a stainless knife? (Yes or no) yes

What is your absolute maximum budget for your knife? $150

KNIFE USE
    Do you primarily intend to use this knife at home or a professional environment? Home

What are the main tasks you primarily intend to use the knife for (e.g., slicing vegetables, chopping vegetables, mincing vegetables, slicing meats, cutting down poultry, breaking poultry bones, filleting fish, trimming meats, etc.)? (Please identify as many tasks as you would like.). Chopping vegetables, cheese, cured meats, occasional breakdown of raw meats or carving out larger cooked meats.

What knife, if any, are you replacing? Henkels 8" chef knife (never paid attention to the model, sorry)

Do you have a particular grip that you primarily use? (Please click on this LINK for the common types of grips.) Hammer / finger point

What cutting motions do you primarily use? (Please click on this LINK for types of cutting motions and identify the two or three most common cutting motions, in order of most used to least used.) Chop, push cut, slice

What improvements do you want from your current knife? If you are not replacing a knife, please identify as many characteristics identified below in parentheses that you would like this knife to have.)

Better aesthetics (e.g., a certain type of finish; layered/Damascus or other pattern of steel; different handle color/pattern/shape/wood; better scratch resistance; better stain resistance)?

Comfort (e.g., lighter/heavier knife; better handle material; better handle shape; rounded spine/choil of the knife; improved balance)?

Ease of Use (e.g., ability to use the knife right out of the box; smoother rock chopping, push cutting, or slicing motion; less wedging; better food release; less reactivity with food; easier to sharpen)? Better food release and edge retention, better intermediate sharpness after the initial edge degrades a bit

Edge Retention (i.e., length of time you want the edge to last without sharpening)?
    6 months

KNIFE MAINTENANCE
    Do you use a bamboo, wood, rubber, or synthetic cutting board? (Yes or no.) Synthetic, edge grain wood

Do you sharpen your own knives? (Yes or no.) I will sharpen them for him.

If not, are you interested in learning how to sharpen your knives? (Yes or no.) N/a

Are you interested in purchasing sharpening products for your knives? (Yes or no.) No

SPECIAL REQUESTS/COMMENTS

2. Nov 19, 2019 #2

parbaked

parbaked

parbaked

3. Nov 19, 2019 #3
  4. Nov 19, 2019 #4

da_mich*

da_mich*

da_mich*

I have a lots of japanese knives here but in my kitchen I use a german Wüsthof. Wüsthof forging very high quality knives, is easy to sharpening, very robust and not so expensive.
    In my opinion its the best allround knife.

5. Nov 19, 2019 #5

mc2442

mc2442

mc2442

Supporting Member

Given the general lean towards Japanese style knives by most here....trolling? The only thing throwing me is the post count.

6. Nov 19, 2019 #6

mc2442

mc2442

mc2442

Supporting Member

I will 2nd the Gesshin stainless as a good intro to Japanese knives, easy to care for and sharpen...I have given several as gifts. I have also given a few of these, and it fits the western handle requirement:

https://www.korin.com/HSU-INGY-210

7. Nov 20, 2019 #7

Adam_M

Adam_M

Adam_M

Wow, the responses to the what knife to get threads seem to be great. There is a real talent for spending people's money here (within the listed budget) and it's great. Lots of knowledge and experience. Tons to learn.

Im thinking a sightly heavier/ sturdier knife is the ticket here so I'm going to start narrowing the list above by weight and spine thickness (to a certain extent).

Do you think all of the vg-10 blades on the list will hold up to less than perfect cutting techniques and some occasional stress / torque on the edge? It seems sturdier than it's reputation - only 1 minor chip in near daily use of a shun for 10 years for my wife and I.

The maz just spoke to me In my first what to get thread and I just want to keep looking/learning for this one until something speaks to me again. Hopefully whatever it is opens is mouth before the Black Friday sales end.

...I also need to not buy the maz blue steel gyuto for myself that was mentioned in the maz specific thread...

8. Nov 20, 2019 #8

MrHiggins

MrHiggins

MrHiggins

Takamura chromax. All day.

9. Nov 20, 2019 #9

da_mich*

da_mich*

da_mich*

[QUOTE="Adam_M, post: 652757, member: 38271"
    Im thinking a sightly heavier/ sturdier knife is the ticket here so I'm going to start narrowing the list above by weight and spine thickness (to a certain extent).

Do you think all of the vg-10 blades on the list will hold up to less than perfect cutting techniques and some occasional stress / torque on the edge? It seems sturdier than it's reputation - only 1 minor chip in near daily use of a shun for 10 years for my wife and I.
    [/QUOTE]

Wüsthof Classic/Ikon is a sightly heavier/sturdier knife and very robust. I can´t recommend VG-10 steel. It´s a very very brittle steel. I´m restoring knives and near 100% of the damaged knives are made out of VG10. Allmost all of the damaged knives are from Kai, but this is a other story.
    If you cut much meat with bones, vegetables with hard cores/shells or other hard thinks german steel is the deal.

10. Nov 23, 2019 #10

Adam_M

Adam_M

Adam_M

I'm having a bit of trouble with the decision, and got myself down a rathole reading about R2 steels.

Do you think that R2 steels would be appropriate for this use case? I'm not sure how chippy they are.

Anyway, this is where I'm at. Open to opinions/recommendations:
    http://www.knivesandstones.com/tanaka-vg10-damascus-gyuto-210mm-western-handle/
    This is the front-runner. Everything looks just about right. Profile/grind/thickness... If the Gin3 K&S lite 210mm was in stock, it'd already be on the way. I'm kind of toying with the idea of going to the 240mm K&S Gin3 Lite (he uses a 9" slicing knife with some regularity for not necessarily slicing tasks)
    https://japanesechefsknife.com/coll...to-210mm-to-270mm-3-sizes?variant=29160678787
    F&F looks top notch, seems like it be a great value, just not as interesting as the Tanaka.

And 2 R2 contenders - if R2 steel is suitable
    https://www.**************.com/topror2st21g.html
    https://www.**************.com/takamura.html
    I like the profile of the Takamura better, but like the weight of the Tojiro, but what isn't clear is the balance point in either, so perhaps the weight difference isn't a huge factor...

11. Nov 26, 2019 #11

Adam_M

Adam_M

Adam_M

12. Nov 26, 2019 #12

applepieforbreakfast

applepieforbreakfast

applepieforbreakfast

I doubt there are any snakewood handles left. The blue banner at the top of the site has been updated periodically after the launch of the US store, with the knife types that are eligible to receive the upgrade becoming more and more limited.

13. Nov 26, 2019 #13

Adam_M

Adam_M

Adam_M

Not a problem - I'm sure the ebony handle will be beautiful.